Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician qualified to work on all makes and models.
3827149

2008 RX350: my power steering..pump replaced..leaking..my steering

Customer Question

I just had my power steering rack & pump replaced on my 2008 RX350. (Was leaking at the boot). Now my steering is very stiff...what gives?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Sounds like they did not bleed the system correctly or damaged the pump. Is the power steering pump making noise?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The power steering rack was changed first. When I got the car back, the steering was stiff and I complained. When I asked them to review it, they decided to go ahead and change out the pump. I just got the car back again and the steering is still stiff...it wants to go straight all the time! No noise coming from the pump.
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Ok the problem then is definately in the rack . What happend is when the new rack was rebuilt they put to much preload which makes steering very stiff and this is causing this issue. There are going to need to either adjust the preload in the power sterring rack or replace the power sterring rack at no charge to you. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So how should I ask the dealer to do this? Simply ask them to adjust the preload pressure on the power steering rack to loosen up the steering? Is there an upper and lower limit for this adjustment?
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Yes but they will most likely say it's not adjustable which it is and then have to replace the power sterring rack which will be done at no cost to you . These are the next steps . Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician qualified to work on all makes and models.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've contacted my service rep and can't wait to see what he says. Thanks cardoctor for the assistance.
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Anytime.If you need more help I will be here for you .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Unfortunately, the dealer is giving me the stiff arm and saying that the steering is supposed to be that way. And they did say that the preload was not adjustable. They are making my head hurt. LOL
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
That's what I figure I would demand a new rack if possible .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are saying the rack is bad and will replace it. You were spot on!
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Excellent glad to help.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.