Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lexus Expert
8257649

Lexus ES300: I have a TRACOFF, VSC and ABS lights came on at

Customer Question

I have a TRACOFF, VSC and ABS lights came on at the same time on my 2003 Lexus ES300. Autozone could not read any code. Wonder if anyone know what it is?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Lexus questions!

Is the check engine light illuminated also? Do the brakes function normally? Has there been any recent work done to the vehicle?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No check engine light illuminate, brake function normal. No recent work been done to the vehicle
Do you know how to retrieve the traction control codes?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I can look online.

One more thing to consider is that I feel the steering wheel vibrate when drive at 70 mph or up. Feel the vibration since the lights are on.

The vibration is not likely related to the VSC. That is probably tire or brake rotor related. Click this LINK and save. Place a jumper wire or paper clip in TC and CG. IF there is a code 12 for example with the key in the on position the check engine light will flash one time then a slight pause then two flashes. If there is more then one code the others will follow. Post back here with the numbers.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just insert a two paper clips, one in each slot? Where do I see the code from? I am not sure if I understand your answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

.... I clicked the wrong button. Was meant to click on Reply to Expert instead of the Green Satisfy or Accept Answer button.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not getting what I pay for and I am not satisfy with the answer
No worries, I am still with you on this. It's just that most of the experts on here are full-time technicians and when he gets busy in the shop we have to maintain our day job so to speak. In the illustration it's a matter of inserting a jumper wire or one small paperclip between the two terminals. Once this is done turn the ignition key on and monitor the vehicle skid control light or VSC light and the ABS light. When the key is in the on position and this jumper wire is installed the light will flash a series of codes as I explained above. Let me know if this clears things up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I insert two separate paper clips or just use one paper clip for both slots?
JUST ONE IS NEEDED JUST BRIDGE/ CONNECTTHE 2 PINS.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

After inserted a paper clip into the shown slots, there is what I see when turn the key to ON position:

The TRAC-OFF light did not come on at all. The VSC light flashes as 4-3 interval (4-3 ...4-3 ... 4-3...etc.) and the ABS light flashes a 3-1-3-5 interval (3-1-3-5 ... 3-1-3-5 ... 3-1-3-5 ... etc)

Please let me know what all that mean.

Thanks.

The code 41 means low battery voltage to the actuator for the abs and VSC system. This can be a bad battery or poorly charging alternator to a problem with the connector to the unit. The 31 and 35 indicate a problem with the Right Front wheel speed sensor. The 35 is an issue with debris on the tip of the sensor. Focus on the right front sensor repair first.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How did you get the code 41? The VSC light flashes 4 times and follows by 3 times and then repeat the pattern.

What about the TRACOFF light, what is that mean when it does not flash at all?

That was a typo on the 41 at should've said 43. The ABS and the VSC lights are the only ones you should be monitoring the trac off is not an issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The right front WSS is on the passenger side or driver side?

I'll have to check the battery and will post the results. Is there a way to check the alternator to see if the charging is still good or poor?

Thanks.

The right front is always as you're sitting in the car which would make it the passenger front wheel. The only way to accurately test and alternator is by reading the voltage at the battery should be between 13.2 and 14.2 volts. You would need an amp meter in order to test the current flow or output of the alternator. Typically though if you're getting at least 13.2 V the alternator normally is charging fine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have the battery tested and it came back good. The voltage was at 13.64 V, which is very normal.

I have not got a chance to look at the WSS yet. I'll post my findings when I have the chance to check out the WSS. Thanks.

OK
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello
I had a chance to look at the WSS, cleaned both front WSS. The lights still on. Not sure what to do next. Please advise
Are you getting the same code?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When the wire is inserted in the CG & Tc and with the key to ON, I don't see the the lights flash at all. What is that mean?

Do the ABS and VSC lights come on normally when the vehicle is started?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, they come on normal and stay on when the car is started
If the system is no longer flashing a code there may be an issue in the computer for the VSC system. This may require a scan tool to get in to further diagnostics of the system.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The problem still exist. Is it okay to drive with the current problem?
You can continue to drive this vehicle. You just will not have ABS function or vehicle skid control functions. It will accelerate and brake as a normal vehicle.