Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lexus Expert
8257649

Lexus ES300: 2000 lexus es 300 wont start new battery and starter

Customer Question

2000 lexus es 300 wont start new battery and starter tries to turn over the starts to click
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Lexus questions!

If you turn the headlights on and turn the key to the start position do the headlights go dim or go out? Does the starter make a rapid clicking sound or is it just a single click or clunk?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes when I turn the healights on and try to start the lights go out an go and come back on we key is not in position as far as the starter it makes a rapid clicking noise
You have one of two things going on here either severe corrosion at the cable or the new battery you got is junk. Believe it or not you would be surprised a number of times you get a brand-new battery that is no good. Had it happened to me and didn't believe it until I actually saw it. The rapid clicking coming from the starter means there's not enough current flow to keep the starter solenoid engaged. The lack of current flow can only come from bad connections or bad battery. If you're 100% certain the battery connections are clean and tight and you see no signs of corrosion down in the cables pass the connector then you need to get another battery. The other option would be to get a jump start but you need good quality jumper cables if your battery is totally dead or this battery is totally bad.
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Lexus Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked the volts on the battery an it was good what else could it be if its not the battery
Put your voltmeter directly on battery post while turning the key to the start position what does the battery voltage drop to? Then put the voltmeter to the cables while they are attached to the battery and turn the key to the start position and check the voltage to see what it drops to. Let me know what these readings are.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The voltoge drops in both placements of the volt meter
How far as a drop? What is the voltage in the start position
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Start position 12.00 drops to 4.00-5.00 range
The voltage of the battery should not drop below 11 1/2 V minimum a new battery will barely break 12 V in the start position. The reason why you're getting the severe drop in voltage is because there is no current flow or reserve capacity in the battery. The bottom line the battery is bad. Again this is all dependent on the fact that you have no corrosion around the terminals before you put them down on the new battery. But based on your test of both cable and terminal post test this confirms the battery is no good.