Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lexus Expert

2002 Lexus ES300: my engine light came..same code..part number

Hello All,
I have a 2002 Lexus ES300, my engine light came on with the code of P0430 I was told to replace the CAT on bank one which I did and and now the same code is back on BANK 2 and this time I am being told to replace the two upstream O2 sensors. Is this the correct path to trouble shooting this issue and dose anyone know what the part number is XXXXX the two upstream O2 sensors?

Category: Lexus
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Lexus questions!

Anytime you have a P0420 code or a P0430 code this is not a sensor malfunction. Do not waste your money on air fuel ratio sensors or oxygen sensors. They are doing their job correctly otherwise these codes would not even set. Anytime you have either one of these codes for bank one or bank two it is a converter failure. The catalyst efficiency is deteriorated and the computer has detected this by monitoring both AFR sensor and rear oxygen sensors. In some cases there are some computer updates available on certain models to help address some of these failures. However 99.9% of the time you have to replace both converters for both banks. If you do not live in a state that requires emissions inspections order to renew your license plate you can just ignore this code if you don't mind looking at the check engine light. This will have no effect on the engine performance with the exception of possibly one or 2 miles per gallon fuel differential.