lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus

Lexus how much should a brake job cost on my Lexus 330 - calipers,

how much should a brake job cost on my Lexus 330 - calipers, rotors, pads. I am being quoted $700 per axle.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using just answer! What year is your lexus? Is this an rx330 or an es330?
Why are they replacing the rotors and calipers?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2004 Lexus 330 es I think. Has 90,000 miles. I am told two of the calipers were stuck and that the rotors were in need of replacing.
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.
Its very rare for a caliper to "stick".....I have seen the slide pins seize on the brackets for the caliper slides this a dealer or independant shop and are they quoting factory or aftermarket parts? Were you having brake issues or was this a recommndation while in for routine service?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Independent shop. I called them as I thought I was having brake problems. Assuming I need all this, they have car, is $1400 reasonable?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've gone to them before. Sullivan Tire. National chain I think.
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.
That's too high. I still question the list of parts, do you live in a northern region where road salt is used so car parts badly rust normally?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes I live in New England.

Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.
Ok, ask them to measure the rotors and if they can have them resurface the rotors not replace them. Pads should be about $140 total (be sure they use factory pads or you will have brake noise issues). Aftermarket rotors are about $400 total and aftermarket rotors are ok to keep this cost down. As far as calipers ask them specificaly wha is wrong. If a slide pin is seized they can replace just the bracket with new slide pinins for a third of the cost. Labor shoul be under $300 on this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well they've done the work already. Is $1400 just ridiculous?
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.
Yeah, it is. Normally customers inquire to me before they approve work like this to get educated and avoid unneeded cost. I see too many customers go to independant shops and "mechanics" trying to "save" $$$ when in reality they are overcharged/sold more parts then they really need and inferior parts are installed. Sorry.