lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus
9414525

2001 Lexus ES300: TRAC..the check engine light came..O2 sensors

I have a 2001 Lexus ES300 with about 120K miles on it. The TRAC OFF light and the check engine light came on at the same time. I took it to a mechanic who said the error codes that came up were that the O2 sensors needed to be replaced for about $800. I don't have a traction system, so why would the TRAC OFF light come on, unless there's a bug in the computer? I can't get my emission sticker until the lights go off.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.
$800 for an o2 sensor is outrageous! You need to take this to a toyota or lexus dealer. A factory sensor is about $230 and about $100 to put it in. The traction control/vsc systems are automaticlly shut down and disabled anytime a check engine light comes on so once the check engine light is resolved this light will go off also and be resolved.