Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Lexus Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Lexus Diagnostics

Lexus RX300 If I am having the timing belt changed on a Lexus

If I am having the timing belt changed on a Lexus RX300 at 180,000 miles, should the water pump be replaced as well --even if it isn't leaking?

Welcome to! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

Replacing the water pump at the same time as the timing belt is debated between Techs on a daily basis. Some some yes, some say not needed. In MY opinion, yes, I suggest to every customer that it should be changed. The fact is- if the water pump does happen to go bad after the timing belt job, you are going to pay for the belt job all over again, including a new belt. If the pump is replaced at the same time, it's then covered by warranty (most reputable shops) and if either item fails, they're both covered. The pump sells for around $122 and the labor is only another .3hr (about 20min). It's a "better safe than sorry" repair in my opinion.