LexusPro
LexusPro, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  Lexus Master Certified, 11 yrs w/ Lexus Dealership, Elite of Lexus 2000-2011, 17yrs Auto Industry
48590959

Lexus IS250 I have a 2006 lexus is 250. The check VSC light,

Customer Question

I have a 2006 lexus is 250. The check VSC light, engine light and traction control light came on. This is the second time it has occurred in the past 8 months after getting an oil change from a dealer about a week ago. I have driven over 100 miles since the oil change and filled up with gas and drove over 100 miles prior to the lights coming on. I had started the car over 15 times between the oil change/gas fill up prior to the lights coming on.
I went to PEP BOYS and they tried several sensors to read the engine codes. None of their sensors worked with my car. They also confirmed that all of the fuses were working fine.
Is there a sequence that needs to be performed prior to having the engine codes read that PEPE BOYS could try? Is this a dealer only issue? Will the dealer charge to have the engine codes read?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  LexusPro replied 3 years ago.

LexusPro :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question and will be back with you in just a second.

LexusPro :

Most dealers will charge a diagnostic fee, most auto part stores will check it for free. I have seen a good number of cars with misfire codes lately. As well as some failed vvt valves, air fuel sensors, and ignition coils.

LexusPro :

But you will need to know the diagnostic codes to further diagnose your problem.

Customer:

Is there a sequence that the PEP Boys folks need to perform to get their sensors to work with my car? They tried several sensors and none would work with my car.

LexusPro :

Im not sure what kind of diagnostic equipment thet are using. Most scan tools can retrive check engine codes. You may try Autozone or Advanced auto parts to see what they say, if there is one close by.

LexusPro, ASE Master Certified
Experience: Lexus Master Certified, 11 yrs w/ Lexus Dealership, Elite of Lexus 2000-2011, 17yrs Auto Industry
Expert:  LexusPro replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. So when I get the engine codes will you be able to tell me what next to expect?
Expert:  LexusPro replied 3 years ago.
I will be glad to help. When you get the codes you can reply to this post.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi. Sorry for the delay in responding. I never had to take the car to the dealer. This has happened twice in the past 8 months. I had been using generic premium gas with no additives. I just filled the tank with premium gas plus additives and the lights went out after several miles.

I hope this information can assist you and others. It appears that the oxygen levels are setting off the engine lights. Have you had others with this issue? Someone at a dealership told me about this fix.

Expert:  LexusPro replied 3 years ago.
We do recommend using premium fuel only. Poor quality fuel will cause build up on the intake valves and cause misfires.