GEORGEBMW1, Owner Auto Repair Shop
Experience:  Master Technician over 20 years Dealership Experience. Auto Repair Shop Business Owner

1999 Lexus: ES 300...ignition coil cylinder #2, burned 3 times

A 1999 Lexus ES 300. I have a ignition coil cylinder #2, burned 3 times, and i replaced it with Original Parts. Does anybody know what causes that only this cylinder burns?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  GEORGEBMW1 replied 5 years ago.

You need to start off by checking the harness from the # XXXXX coil to the ECM connector and make sure there is no resistance or shorts. If the harness is ok and it has burned out 3 new coils then it would be an internal ECM problem.

Most of the time when a coil burns up it will cause damage to the Transistor's inside the ECM for firing that coil, usually you will know it from the beginning because after replacing the coil it still does not fire.

It might have caused damage to the transistors but not fatal damage and this might be why it keeps burning up the coils you keep replacing.

When you say that " you know it from the beginning becuase after replacing the coil it still does not fire", does that mean that it doesn't have a spark or what do you mean? I don't understand. Let me mention something, everytime i replace the coil it takes me about 2 or 3 months to burn, does this say something. Thank-you.

What I mean is that if a coil burns and it does permanent damage to the ECU you will find out after replacing the burnt coil and it still does not give spark.

Did you test the harness?

Thank you very much,

I will always leave positive feedback all I ask is for the same.