Amedee
Amedee, Lexus Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Lexus RX330 Have 2004 Lexus RX330 w/ around 250,000 miles. For

Have 2004 Lexus RX330 w/ around 250,000 miles.
For awhile now the steering wheel and vehicle shake when the brakes are applied at high speed. Have had rotors resurfaced and even replaced (but not with so-called Lexus rotors).
Was told by guy at Lexus place the only remedy is to let them replace the rotors with the original OEM "Lexus" rotors, that other rotors are too thin or something and will always give me trouble.....and they want to charge me a totally outrageous price for parts and labor to do the work themselves (surprise, surprise).
Is replacing the rotors all around on this vehicle something I could do at home?
Why can't I order good, inexpensive rotors online that will work?
Do you have any suggestions on the type rotors to order and where to get them?
Please help me save a ton of money here.
Thanks so much!
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello there!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you.

Since the steering wheel shakes when you step on the brakes, chances are it is only going to be the front brakes that are at fault. However, this does not necessarily mean that your rear brakes are ok.

YES.. you can do these brakes yourself. However, this would require the right tools. I would strongly recommend to get high quality parts for your vehicle. IF not Original Equipment, at least some very high quality parts. The cheaper the parts you get, the more chance you will have the same problem you are having now.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That was not exactly as detailed an answer as I would have anticipated.

I would appreciate your advising me specifically on the following:

1. Where is the best place (and prices) to order the rotors of which you speak?

2. What rotors should I get (specific manufacturers and rotors)?

3. What is the procedure for replacing the rotors myself (how do I do it)?

I look forward to your response, and thank-you!

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Where is the best place (and prices) to order the rotors of which you speak?

Do you want me to suggest a store or a site on line?

What rotors should I get (specific manufacturers and rotors)?

This depends on your price range. I can get you the price and part numbers if you would like.

What is the procedure for replacing the rotors myself (how do I do it)?

I can get you the procedure from the manufacture if you would like...
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Here is the information from alldata about your front brake pads.

Parts Information
Part OEM Part Price
Brake Pad
Front Pads 0446548100 $62.99
Rear Pads
Mark PA544 0446648060 $62.99
Mark Sumitomo PS506H 0446648090 $69.95
Mark AK PA561 0446648060 $62.99
Labor Skill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
Brake Pad
Replace
Front Pads B 0.5 1.0
Rear Pads B 0.4 1.0
NOTE
To Reface Rotor, Add
Each B 0.0 0.4
To R&I or R&R Rotor, Add
Each B 0.0 0.2
To R&R Caliper, Add
Each B 0.0 0.2
To Overhaul Caliper, Add
Each B 0.0 0.3
To R&R Brake Hoses, Add
Each B 0.0 0.1
To R&R Parking Brake Shoes, Add
Both Side B 0.0 0.3
To R&R Rear Parking Brake Cables, Add
Both Sides B 0.0 0.9

Here is the info about your front brake rotors from alldata.

Parts Information
Part OEM Part Price
Brake Rotor/Disc
Front Brakes
Rotor 4351248081 $130.99
Rear Brakes
Rotor
Canada Built 424310E011 $137.73
Japan Built 4243148041 $114.45
Labor Skill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Here is the serivce and repair procedure from alldata for your front brakes.

Front

OVERHAUL

HINT: Overhaul the RH side using the same procedures as those for the LH side.

1. REMOVE FRONT WHEEL
  2. DRAIN BRAKE FLUID

NOTICE: Wash the brake fluid off immediately if it adheres to any painted surfaces.

1. DISCONNECT FRONT FLEXIBLE HOSE
    1. Remove the union bolt and the gasket from the disc brake cylinder sub-assembly, then disconnect the flexible hose.

1. REMOVE DISC BRAKE CYLINDER ASSEMBLY LH
    1. Hold the front disc brake cylinder slide pin, slide pin (No. 2) and remove the 2 bolts.
  1. REMOVE DISC BRAKE PAD KIT FRONT (PAD ONLY)
    1. Remove the 2 brake pads w/ anti squeal shim from the cylinder mounting LH.
  1. REMOVE ANTI SQUEAL SHIM KIT FRONT
    1. Remove the 2 anti squeal shims from each pads.
    2. Using a screwdriver, remove the pad wear indicator from the inner pad.
  1. REMOVE FRONT DISC BRAKE PAD SUPPORT PLATE
    1. Remove the front disc brake pad support plate (No. 1) and the front disc brake pad support plate (No.2) from the front disc brake cylinder mounting LH.

1. REMOVE FRONT DISC BRAKE CYLINDER SLIDE PIN
    1. Remove the front disc brake cylinder slide pin from the front disc brake cylinder mounting LH
  1. REMOVE FRONT DISC BRAKE CYLINDER SLIDE PIN NO.2
    1. Remove the front disc brake cylinder slide pin (No.2) from the front disc brake cylinder mounting LH.

1. REMOVE FRONT DISC BRAKE CYLINDER SLIDE BUSH
    1. Remove the front disc brake cylinder slide bush from the front disc brake cylinder slide pin No.2.

NOTICE: Do not damage the front disc brake cylinder slide pin No.2.

1. REMOVE FRONT DISC BRAKE BUSH DUST BOOT
    1. Remove the 2 front disc brake cylinder bush dust boots from the front disc brake cylinder mounting LH.

1. REMOVE FRONT DISC BRAKE CYLINDER MOUNTING LH
    1. Remove the 2 bolts and the front disc brake cylinder mounting LH.

1. REMOVE CYLINDER BOOT
    1. Using a screwdriver, remove the cylinder boot.

NOTICE: Do not damage the inner cylinder and cylinder groove.

1. REMOVE FRONT DISC BRAKE PISTON
    1. Place a shop rug between the brake piston and the disc brake cylinder sub-assembly.
    2. Use compressed air to remove the brake piston from the disc brake cylinder sub-assembly.

CAUTION: Do not place your fingers in front of the brake piston when using compressed air.

NOTICE: Do not spatter the brake fluid.

1. REMOVE PISTON SEAL
    1. Using a screwdriver, remove the piston seal.

1. REMOVE FRONT DISC BRAKE BLEEDER PLUG CAP
    1. Remove the bleeder plug cap to the front disc brake bleeder plug.
  1. REMOVE FRONT DISC BRAKE BLEEDER PLUG
    1. Remove the front disc brake bleeder plug from the disc brake cylinder sub-assembly.
  1. INSPECT BRAKE CYLINDER AND PISTON
    1. Check the brake cylinder bore and the brake piston for rust or scoring.

1. INSPECT PAD LINING THICKNESS
    1. Using a ruler, measure the pad lining thickness. Standard thickness: 11.0 mm (0.433 inch)

Minimum thickness: 1.0 mm (0.039 inch)

1. INSPECT FRONT DISC BRAKE PAD SUPPORT PLATE
    1. Inspect the front disc brake pad support plate (No. 1) and the front disc brake pad support plate (No.2). Make sure that it has sufficient rebound, no deformation cracks or wear, and all rust, dirt are cleaned off.

1. INSPECT DISC THICKNESS
    1. Using a micrometer, measure the disc thickness. Standard thickness: 28.0 mm (1.102 inch)

Minimum thickness: 26.0 mm (1.024 inch)

1. REMOVE FRONT DISC
    1. Put matchmarks on the front disc and the axle hub.
    2. Remove the front disc.
  1. INSTALL FRONT DISC
    1. Align the matchmarks, install the front disc.

HINT: When replacing the disc with a new one, select the installation position where the front disc has the minimum runout.

1. INSPECT DISC RUNOUT
    1. Temporarily install the front disc with hub nuts. Torque: 103 Nm (1,050 kgf-cm, 76 ft. lbs.)
    2. Using a dial gauge, measure the disc runout 10 mm (0.39 inch) away from the outer edge of the front disc. Maximum disc runout: 0.05 mm (0.0020 inch)
    3. If the disc runout is greater than the maximum value, check the bearing play in the axial direction and check the axle hub runout. If the bearing play and axle hub runout are normal, adjust the disc runout or grind it on a"On-car" brake lathe.
  1. TEMPORARILY TIGHTEN FRONT DISC BRAKE BLEEDER PLUG
    1. Temporarily tighten the front disc brake bleeder plug to the disc brake cylinder sub-assembly.
  1. INSTALL FRONT DISC BRAKE BLEEDER PLUG CAP
    1. Install the bleeder plug cap to the front disc brake bleeder plug.
  1. INSTALL PISTON SEAL
    1. Apply the lithium soap base glycol grease to a new piston seal.
    2. Install the piston seal to the disc brake cylinder sub-assembly.

1. INSTALL FRONT DISC BRAKE PISTON
    1. Apply lithium soap base glycol grease to the front disc brake piston and a new cylinder boot.
    2. Install the cylinder boot to the front disc brake piston.
    3. Install the piston to the front disc brake cylinder sub-assembly.

NOTICE: Do not install the piston forcibly in the disc brake cylinder.

1. INSTALL CYLINDER BOOT
    1. Install the cylinder boot to the front disc brake cylinder.

NOTICE:

• Install the boot securely to the grooves of the cylinder and piston.
  • Do not damage the cylinder boot.

1. INSTALL FRONT DISC BRAKE CYLINDER MOUNTING LH
    1. Install the front disc brake cylinder mounting LH with the 2 bolts. Torque: 104 Nm (1,061 kgf-cm, 77 ft. lbs.)

1. INSTALL FRONT DISC BRAKE BUSH DUST BOOT
    1. Apply lithium soap base glycol grease to the sealing surface of 2 new front disc brake bush dust boots.
    2. Install the 2 front disc brake bush dust boots to the front disc brake cylinder mounting LH.

1. INSTALL FRONT DISC BRAKE CYLINDER SLIDE BUSH
    1. Apply lithium soap base glycol grease to the a new front disc brake cylinder slide bush.
    2. Install the front disc brake cylinder slide bush to the front disc brake cylinder slide pin No.2.

1. INSTALL FRONT DISC BRAKE CYLINDER SLIDE PIN NO.2
    1. Apply the lithium soap base glycol grease to the sliding part and the seal surface of the slide pin No.2.
    2. Install the front disc brake cylinder slide pin No.2 to the bottom side of the cylinder mounting LH.
  1. INSTALL FRONT DISC BRAKE CYLINDER SLIDE PIN
    1. Apply the lithium soap base glycol grease to the sliding part and the seal surface of the slide pin.
    2. Install the front disc brake cylinder slide pin.
  1. INSTALL FRONT DISC BRAKE PAD SUPPORT PLATE
    1. Install the front disc brake pad support plate (No.1)and the front disc brake pad support plate (No.2) to the front disc brake cylinder mounting LH.

1. INSTALL ANTI SQUEAL SHIM KIT FRONT
    1. Apply disc brake grease to the anti squeal shims and install them to each pad.

NOTICE:

• When replacing worn pads, the anti squeal shims must be replaced together with the pads.
  • Install the shims correctly of which positions and directions.
    1. Install the pad wear indicator to the inner pad.

NOTICE: Install the pad wear indicator correctly of which positions and directions.

1. INSTALL DISC BRAKE PAD KIT FRONT (PAD ONLY)
    1. Install the 2 brake pads w/ anti squeal shim to the disc brake cylinder mounting LH.

NOTICE: There should be no oil or grease on the friction surface of the pads and the disc.

1. INSTALL DISC BRAKE CYLINDER ASSEMBLY LH
    1. Install the disc brake cylinder assembly LH with the 2 bolts. Torque: 34 Nm (350 kgf-cm, 25 ft. lbs.)
  1. CONNECT FRONT FLEXIBLE HOSE
    1. Connect the flexible hose with the union bolt and a new gasket. Torque: 29 Nm (300 kgf-cm, 21 ft. lbs.)

NOTICE: Install the flexible hose lock securely in the lock hole in the disc brake cylinder sub-assembly.

1. FILL RESERVOIR WITH BRAKE FLUID
  2. BLEED MASTER CYLINDER SST 09023-00100
  3. BLEED BRAKE LINE
  4. CHECK FLUID LEVEL IN RESERVOIR
  5. CHECK BRAKE FLUID LEAKAGE
  6. INSTALL FRONT WHEEL Torque: 103 Nm (1,050 kgf-cm, 76 ft. lbs.)

Amedee, Lexus Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector