john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech Ase Certified

I have a 2005 rx330 and I am trying to remove the rear rotors.

I have a 2005 rx330 and I am trying to remove the rear rotors. I have gotten as far as removing the wheels & calipers and using machine screws to dislodge the rotors via the two holes but I can't seem to pull either one off. It feels as if a spring or something is holding them on. Am I missing something?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 3 years ago.
the rotor is getting caught on the e brake shoes, you need to pull the plug and down adjust the parking brake
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: 15 years as a auto tech Ase Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
John, I am having difficulty down adjusting the parking brake on my RX330.

You said to pull the plug. Is that the black rubber plug on the face of the rotor. I have pulled that out but don't see how to adjust the parking brake with a screwdriver or other tool.

I searched the internet for how to adjust the parking brake on the 2005 RX330 and have tried everything I found but I cannot find where to adjust it. (at the wheel, under the car where the left & right side merge, under the dash by the pedal?)

Any assistance that you can provide would be appreciated and I would be willing to pay another $15 for your help.

thanks,

Paul
Rear

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

OVERHAUL

HINT: Overhaul the RH side by using the same procedures as those for the LH side.

1. REMOVE REAR WHEEL
  2. DRAIN BRAKE FLUID

NOTICE: Wash the brake fluid off immediately if it adheres to any painted surfaces.

1. DISCONNECT REAR LH FLEXIBLE HOSE
    1. Remove the union bolt and the gasket from the disc brake cylinder assembly rear, then disconnect the flexible hose.

Register Here

1. REMOVE REAR DISC BRAKE CYLINDER SLIDE PIN No.2
    1. Remove the rear disc brake cylinder slide pin No.2.
  1. REMOVE REAR DISK BRAKE CYLINDER SLIDE PIN
    1. Remove the rear disc brake cylinder slide pin.

Register Here

1. REMOVE DISC BRAKE CYLINDER ASSEMBLY REAR LH
    1. Remove the disc brake cylinder assembly rear LH.
  1. REMOVE DISC BRAKE PAD KIT REAR (PAD ONLY)
    1. Remove the 2 brake pads with the anti squeal shim.
  1. REMOVE ANTI SQUEAL SHIM KIT REAR
    1. Remove the 4 anti squeal shims from each pad.
    2. Using a screwdriver, remove the 2 pad wear indicators from each pad.
  1. REMOVE REAR DISC BRAKE PAD SUPPORT PLATE
    1. Remove the rear disc brake pad support plate (No.1) and the rear disc brake pad support plate (No.2) from the rear disc brake cylinder mounting LH.

Register Here

1. REMOVE REAR DISC BRAKE BUSH DUST BOOT
    1. Remove the 2 rear disc brake bush dust boots from the rear disc brake cylinder mounting LH.

Register Here

1. REMOVE REAR DISC BRAKE CYLINDER MOUNTING LH
    1. Remove the 2 bolts and the rear disc brake cylinder mounting LH.

Register Here

1. REMOVE REAR DISC BRAKE CYLINDER SLIDE BUSH
    1. Remove the rear disc brake cylinder slide bush from the rear disc brake cylinder slide pin No.2.

NOTICE: Do not damage the front disc brake cylinder slide pin No.2.

Register Here

1. REMOVE CYLINDER BOOT
    1. Using a screwdriver, remove the cylinder boot.

NOTICE: Do not damage the inner cylinder and cylinder groove.

Register Here

1. REMOVE REAR DISC BRAKE PISTON
    1. Place a shop rug between the brake piston and the rear disc brake cylinder sub-assembly.
    2. Use compressed air to remove the brake piston from the rear disc brake cylinder sub-assembly.

CAUTION: Do not place your fingers in front of the brake piston when using compressed air.

NOTICE: Do not spatter the brake fluid.

Register Here

1. REMOVE PISTON SEAL
    1. Using a screwdriver, remove the piston seal from the rear disc brake cylinder sub-assembly.

NOTICE: Do not damage the inner cylinder and the cylinder groove.

1. REMOVE REAR DISC BRAKE BLEEDER PLUG CAP
    1. Remove the bleeder plug cap from the rear disc brake bleeder plug.
  1. REMOVE REAR DISC BRAKE BLEEDER PLUG
    1. Remove the rear disc brake bleeder plug from the rear disc brake cylinder sub-assembly.
  1. INSPECT BRAKE CYLINDER AND PISTON
    1. Inspect the cylinder bore and the brake piston for rust or scoring.

Register Here

1. INSPECT PAD LINING THICKNESS
    1. Using a ruler, measure the pad lining thickness. Standard thickness: 10.0 mm (0.394 inch)

Minimum thickness: 1.0 mm (0.039 inch)

1. INSPECT REAR DISC BRAKE PAD SUPPORT PLATE
    1. Inspect the front disc brake pad support plate (No. 1) and the front disc brake pad support plate (No.2). Make sure that they have sufficient rebound, there are no deformation cracks or wear, and all rust and dirt are cleaned off.

Register Here

1. INSPECT DISC THICKNESS
    1. Using a micrometer, measure the disc thickness. Standard thickness: 10.0 mm (0.394 inch)

Minimum thickness: 8.5 mm (0.335 inch)

1. REMOVE REAR DISC

Register Here

1. Put matchmarks on the rear disc and the axle hub.

Register Here

1. Release the parking brake, and remove the rear disc.

HINT: If the disc cannot be removed easily, turn the shoe adjuster until the wheel turns freely.

1. REMOVE PARKING BRAKE SHOE ADJUSTING HOLE PLUG
  1. INSTALL PARKING BRAKE SHOE ADJUSTING HOLE PLUG
  1. INSTALL REAR DISC
    1. Aligning the matchmarks, install the rear disc.

HINT: When replacing the rear disc with a new one, select the installation position where the rear disc has the minimum runout.

Register Here

1. INSPECT DISC RUNOUT
    1. Temporarily fasten the rear disc with hub nuts. Torque: 103 Nm (1,050 kgf-cm, 76 ft. lbs.)
    2. Using a dial gauge, measure the disc runout 10 mm (0.39 inch) away from the outer edge of the rear disc. Maximum disc runout: 0.15 mm (0.0059 inch)
    3. If the disc runout is equal to maximum value or greater, check the bearing play in the axial direction and check the axle hub runout. If the bearing play and axle hub runout are not abnormal, adjust the disc runout or grind it on a "On-car" brake lathe.
  1. ADJUST PARKING BRAKE SHOE CLEARANCE
  2. TEMPORARILY TIGHTEN REAR DISC BRAKE BLEEDER PLUG
    1. Temporarily install the rear disc brake bleeder plug to the rear disc brake cylinder sub-assembly.
  1. INSTALL REAR DISC BRAKE BLEEDER PLUG CAP
    1. Install the rear disc brake bleeder plug cap to the rear disc brake bleeder plug.
  1. INSTALL PISTON SEAL
    1. Apply lithium soap base glycol grease to a new piston seal.
    2. Install the piston seal to the rear disc brake cylinder sub-assembly.

Register Here

1. INSTALL REAR DISC BRAKE PISTON
    1. Apply lithium soap base glycol grease to the rear disc brake piston and a new cylinder boot.
    2. Install the cylinder boot to the rear disc brake piston.
    3. Install the piston to the rear disc brake cylinder sub-assembly.

NOTICE: Do not install the piston forcibly in the disc brake cylinder.

Register Here

1. INSTALL CYLINDER BOOT
    1. Install the cylinder boot to the rear disc brake cylinder sub-assembly.

NOTICE:

• Install the boot securely onto the grooves of the cylinder and the piston.
  • Do not damage the cylinder boot.

Register Here

1. INSTALL REAR DISC BRAKE CYLINDER SLIDE BUSH
    1. Apply lithium soap base glycol grease to a new rear disc brake cylinder slide bush.
    2. Install the rear disc brake cylinder slide bush to the rear disc brake cylinder slide pin No.2.

Register Here

1. INSTALL REAR DISC BRAKE CYLINDER MOUNTING LH
    1. Install the rear disc brake cylinder mounting LH with the 2 bolts. Torque: 78 Nm (799 kgf-cm, 58 ft. lbs.)

Register Here

1. INSTALL REAR DISC BRAKE BUSH DUST BOOT
    1. Apply lithium soap base glycol grease to the seal surface of 2 new rear disc brake bush dust boots.
    2. Install the 2 rear disc brake bush dust boots to the rear disc brake cylinder mounting LH.
  1. INSTALL REAR DISC BRAKE PAD SUPPORT PLATE
    1. Install the rear disc brake pad support plate (No.1) and the rear disc brake pad support plate (No.2) to the rear disc brake cylinder mounting LH.

Register Here

1. INSTALL ANTI SQUEAL SHIM KIT REAR
    1. Apply disc brake grease to the inside of the anti squeal shims and install them and the pad wear indicators to each of the 2 brake pads.

NOTICE:

• When replacing worn pads, the anti squeal shims must be replaced together with the pads.
  • Install the pad wear indicator and anti squeal shims in the correct positions and directions.
  1. INSTALL DISC BRAKE PAD KIT REAR (PAD ONLY)
    1. Install the 2 brake pads w/ anti squeal shims to the rear disc brake cylinder mounting LH.

NOTICE: There should be no oil or grease on the friction surface of the pads and the disc.

Register Here

1. INSTALL DISC BRAKE CYLINDER ASSEMBLY REAR LH
    1. Install the rear disc brake cylinder assembly rear LH.
  1. INSTALL REAR DISK BRAKE CYLINDER SLIDE PIN

Register Here

1. Apply the lithium soap base glycol grease to the sliding part and the seal surface of the slide pin.
  2. Install the rear disc brake cylinder slide pin.
    1. INSTALL REAR DISC BRAKE CYLINDER SLIDE PIN No.2
      1. Apply the lithium soap base glycol grease to the sliding part and the seal surface of the slide pin No.2.
      2. Install the rear disc brake cylinder slide pin No.2 to the bottom side of the cylinder mounting LH.

Register Here

1. Fully tighten the rear disc brake cylinder slide pin and the rear disc brake cylinder slide pin No.2. Torque: 43 Nm (440 kgf-cm, 32 ft. lbs.)
    1. CONNECT REAR LH FLEXIBLE HOSE
      1. Connect the flexible hose with the union bolt and a new gasket. Torque: 29 Nm (300 kgf-cm, 21 ft. lbs.)
    1. FILL RESERVOIR WITH BRAKE FLUID
    2. BLEED MASTER CYLINDER SST 09023-00101
    3. BLEED BRAKE LINE
    4. CHECK FLUID LEVEL IN RESERVOIR
    5. CHECK BRAKE FLUID LEAKAGE
    6. INSTALL REAR WHEEL Torque: 103 Nm (1,050 kgf-cm, 76 ft. lbs.)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
John, it looks like this portion of your answer addresses my problem:

1. INSTALL REAR DISC

Register Here
I also found this on the Internet:

Pull the rotor straight off of the hub to remove it. On the rear rotors on some models, the emergency brake pushes on the inside of the rotor when the emergency brake is applied. The emergency brake shoe needs to be adjusted and loosened so that the rotor can be removed. Locate the small hole on the rotor for inserting a screwdriver. Rotate the rotor so that the hole is on the bottom of the rotor. Shine a light in so that you can see the adjuster for the emergency brake. Insert a flat-head screwdriver into the hole and rotate the adjuster so that the rotor cannot be turned, then back it off until the rotor can spin. Turn the E-brake adjuster it until you can pull the rotor off of the hub

I tried above and can't seem to figure out where the adjuster is inside the hole or what it looks like. When I turn the rotor I do see three nuts each with two raised parallel lines but I can't turn these with a flathead.
you can pry it will likley come off but finding the adjuster is the way...its in there
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what does it look like?
a gear or a star wheel
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy