Boxer54
Boxer54, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years experience in automotive field - ASE master technician and L1 advanced certification
12613057

I have a 2007 Lexus ES350 with High Intensity Discharge Headlamps

I have a 2007 Lexus ES350 with "High Intensity Discharge Headlamps w/AFS" the driver's side headlight went out and I cannot figure out how to change the bulb. The owner's manual says to see the dealer to change HID bulbs. The dealer quoted $250! I took off the engine cover, and the plastic cap covering the headlamp, but don't see how to get the bulb out. I know not to touch the bulb. Also, the dealer said to replace both sides, driver and passenger, and that it might be the ballast and not the bulb. Does this make sense? Thank you.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Lexus question. First thing here, Make sure your engine is off, headlights off, and key is out of the ignition. These headlight systems produce extremely high voltage that is very dangerous. After you have removed the large, round, cover by turning it counter clockwise on the rear of the headlight housing, you will see the connector to the bulb. Turn the connector counterclockwise and pull it off. The bulb is held in place by a thin metal clip. It fastens on each end under a little hook, press it and unhook it to release it and the clip will move out of the way and the bulb will come out. What I recommend is to swap the bulbs from side to side, then retest and see if the same side goes out or the other side. That way,you will know whether to replace the bulb or the computer. If the problem follows the bulb to the other side, replace the bulb. If the same side goes out, you will need to replace the computer and it should go to the dealer as the entire headlight assembly will need to be disassembled for this. Keep in mind, if you have a hard time getting into the bulb, you will need to remove the headlight assembly, which requires removal of the front bumper cover.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Boxer, it seems to be going well so far. I have the bulbs out, now I'm switching them. Can I turn on the car with only one installed? Will keep you posted. Thank you, Stan
Do not start the car or turn on any lights with a bulb disconnected as this is a major electrocution hazard.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Boxer, Thank you for protecting me from myself! I switched the bulbs and the bad one is still bad and the good one is good so all I need now is a new bulb. Last question, like I said in the original post Lexus said to replace both if one is bad. Should I do that or were they just trying to get another 200+ bucks. Also do you know where I can get them cheap. Thank you and I will accept your answer and leave excellent feedback. You really helped me a lot, Stan
I personally would only replace the one that is bad. It is probable that the other one will give out, but who knows when. Could be a week or a year. I wouldn't replace it until it becomes necessary. I have not searched for cheaper bulbs for this application and the reason is because we see customers all the time coming in telling us that they replaced a bulb a month ago and it is bad again. They think something is wrong with their car, but in reality, it is not a problem with the car, but a inferior bulb. I recommend using the Factory replacement bulb in these.