lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus

Can you replace a lost 2000 lexus key without going to lex

Can you replace a lost 2000 lexus key without going to lexus

Hello and thank you for using just answer!

Did you loose ALL keys or just one?

Wht Model is your Lexus? (es, rx, Is, Lx, etc...)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I lost all keys. LS 200

Are you in the USA?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, New Orleans

Do you mean Ls400 then?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No it is the lower end 200

Sorry we are not communicating well your original statement you said this is a 2000 model Lexus......what YEAR AND MODEL is your Lexus?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the year is 2000 and it is either and ls or es 200
I know these cars very well....there is no model that has a 200 behind it.....for 2000 there was an Es300, a Gs300, a Gs400, a LS400, Rx300, Lx470 there was not 200 model, tell me what model you have so that I can help you please. The model is on the temblem on the trunk lid.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry. The car is the es300. I appreciate your working on this.

ok, that car I know very well. I actually owned 2 of those myself.

How long have you owned this car? Have you ever lost all the keys before in the time you owned this car? (No I am not making fun of you, this is a serious question)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One time before and I got the courtesy replacement.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ten years. One time before and I got the courtesy replacement.

Ok, that is what I was getting at, Lexus does offer the one time replacement (per owner) for free, that is basically to educate the ownernot to loose all keys and to keep an extra master stashed away. If you have already had this then you are kinda screwed here....the immobilizer cannot be reset with all keys lost.

To answer your question here- YES only the dealer can cut these sepcial keys..........what you COULD do here to keep cost down is to get a computer and a matching key from a salvage yard, the immobilizer chip is in the key remote on the master keys, so what you can do is install the used computer and then take the salve yard key that is matched to it and swap the guts from the salvege yard key to your new dealer cut key so you can start the car and program more keys. That can be confusing, please let me know if that was not clear.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Your answer I am sure is correct. Could I find this online and if not what kind of salvage yard?

Probably not online, you would need to call a local one, pick up the yellow pages and call one in your area, most yards have a national locator service, all you need is a computer out of a 1999-2001 Es300 but they MUST also give you a master key that goes with the car that that the computer is coming out of.