Boxer54
Boxer54, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years experience in automotive field - ASE master technician and L1 advanced certification

i have a 97 lexus es300. a fuse under the dash was blown and

Customer Question

i have a 97 lexus es300. a fuse under the dash was blown and the radio wouldn't come on, i replaced the fuse and the radio still doesn't come on. i checked all the fused there and under the hood and they're all good..what could it be?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Lexus question. Is there anything else that does not work? Do the lights on the radio come on, or nothing at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nothing on the radio comes on. everything else in the car works fine..
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
What size is the fuse you changed? Do you have a digital volt meter or a test light so you can check for power at the fuse locations?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i do but i have to wait until tomorrow to get to it. the fuse i replaced is a 20a.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
The 20A radio no 1 fuse is in the underhood fuse box. There is a rad no 2 fuse in the fuse box under the dash. It is a 7.5A fuse. Check them both for power and let me know what you find. The 20 A fuse you replaced under the dash is likely for another component. The only 20 A I see under the dash is for the seat heaters.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok will do
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i just got the volt meter and checked the circuit at the fuse box under the dash. there's a circuit. what now?

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
Can you clarify what you mean here. We need to be checking for battery voltage on both sides of the Radio no 1 fuse under the hood and the radio no 2 fuse under the dash. Do you have battery voltage on both of these with the key on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i cant find the radio 1 fuse at all
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
lol user error. i found the one under the hood and it works fine..the one under the dash has no power getting to it. the fuse is good checked it on the circuit test.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok I found both fuses and both are ok. Here is a more detailed description of where I am at with this:

1 pulled working stock stereo out of vehicle.

2 attached after market wiring harness to lexus harness and attached to my new stereo.

No power.

3 attached stock harness back to stock radio... no power. Checked all fuses under hood and under dash. all are good.

Is this enough info for you to hellp me out? It's all I've done.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
So, the fuse under the hood has power, but not the one under the dash, correct? Make sure were on the same page here. Check to be sure your wipers work.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the wipers work, and the fuse under the hood has no power going to it, the one under the hood does.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
correction.. the fuse under the dash has no power the one under the hood does.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
Ok, well what you have is a problem inside the junction block under the dash. These have internal circuitry and the same power source that feeds the wiper fuse feeds the radio fuse. Replace the junction block with the fuse box (all one unit) and you will correct this condition.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i decided to just go around the stock wiring harness and attach the aftermarket stereo directly to the battery and to an intermittent power supply (wiper blades). the wiring harness made for the aftermarket stereo allows me to connect from the stock wiring harness to the back of the cd player, keeping the stock amplifier in use. after hooking everything up and having the cd player working, no sound comes out of the new radio. any ideas? the new cd player sends 4v out of its rca preamp outputs. i had a dvd player hooked up a couple weeks ago and it worked the rca preamp outputs on the dvd player was 2v. i wasn't happy with the quality so i sent it back. and with the first one i didn't have any trouble with the power coming on at all. since then i've gone around the wiring harness to get to the power with the new one, and now the speakers dont play anything. i have a subwoofer installed in the trunk and it works fine through the subwoofer outputs on the back of the new cd player. i hooked up the subwoofer rca cables into the rear audio outputs to check to be sure there wasn't anything wrong with the cd player and it works fine.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
You are not getting power to the amplifier via the 7.5A fuse in the junction block. To properly repair this, you need to replace the junction block. By adding components to other system circuits, you can overload them and cause more trouble for yourself.