Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

What is the cause of inside tire wear on all four tires of

What is the cause of inside tire wear on all four tires of a Lexus RX400h?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

how many miles on it?

How many miles do you go between tire rotation?

How many alignments in last 12 months have you had?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

23,846 miles on the vehicle.

5,000 miles between rotations

no alignments and none recommended by Lexus service folks

Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

There are only 3 reasons for all tires to wear out prematurely on the inside:

• worn struts/shocks
  • inadequate tire rotation
  • out of alignment

We can rule out the tire rotation as it is done well within recommended schedule. That leaves 2 other reasons.

Simple check for the struts/shocks. Push down on each corner of vehicle. It should go down once, rebound up and stop. If it goes down again and back up and stops, then the shock/strut is bad. I doubt that all 4 are bad with 23K miles on it, but go ahead and do this check.

If ok, as I suspect, then alignment is out. Most likely the camber. Camber is how the wheel sits on the vertical, either leaning in towards engine at the top, or leaning away from car at top. Generally when the camber is out, the vehicle wont pull so you wont know it, except by premature inner tire wear.

I dont know why car manufacturers never put this in their maintenance schedules, but all vehicles should have their alignment at least checked once every 6 months. this is because all it takes is hitting one pothole, going over railroad tracks fast, hitting one curb to knock it out of alignment.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Eric, at each 5,000 mile service, the tires were reportedly rotated and tread depth measured. At the most recent service, the tread wear on all four tires was visible and an alignment along with replacement of all four tires was recommended. Does the Lexus RX400h have a problem with alignment and premature inside tire wear?
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

There are no known issues with them, no recalls or tsbs(technical service bulletins. A good service department will recommend an alignment check(about $60) every 6 months. This way if alignment is knocked out it will be caught before premature wear on the tires.

The problem is that once a tires starts wearing prematurely, that wear pattern is established and no alignment will correct the wear pattern on the tires. That is why even thought a tire may have good center tread left, the tires will be recommended for replacement for inner tire wear as the alignment wont keep them from continuing to wear this way. This is why the alignment needs to be checked once every 6 monnths.

Inner tire wear usually wont show up for 10-15K, so somewhere in that area it should have first been noticed. Tires still would have needed to be replaced, but i consider this oversight on the tech's part.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Am I able to print this discussion?
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Yes. On your web browser there should be a printer icon. click on it to print this page. Also, you can download and save as a document to your computer and print from there.

I use Internet Explorer 7 as my browser and this is how it looks. other browsers are similiar:

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, Eric.