lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus
9414525

Lexus Remote Key Not Working After Changing The Battery.

Customer Question

2007 Lexus LS460 key quit working so I installed a new battery but it still does not work. When I put the battery in, the red indicator light beside the "lock" button flashes continuously for a minute or so.

Category: Lexus
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.

Ok, this is for the key fob correct? Does the car still start?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It's for the second key and no, it will not allow the car to do anything.

Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.

Did this happen suddenly or was there any work done to the car?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Out of the blue. One day it worked; the next it didn't. The other key works fine.
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.

OK so it lost its program then. If it does not start the car or operate the doors then it needs to be reprogrammed.

Has this been tried at the dealer yet?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No. The nearest dealer is 130 miles away.
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.

That was for a 2002 Lexus. This year you need to program the key at the dealer or a mobile locksmith.

It does need to go to the dealer or a mobile locksmith can do this for you. It lost its memory.

Expert:  lexpert replied 6 years ago.

Yes all the LS460's have the wireless smart keys and no it is not possible for them to "lose" programming so that is NOT the issue here.

If the red indicator light worked on this key but it still does not function but your other key works then you have a bad key here that will need to be replaced. If you are still under the 50,000 mile mark then this is still a free repair under warranty at the dealer. If not then you will be responsible for the repair cost, this key can ONLY be purchased from a Lexus dealer and yes it has to be programmed with a dealers scan tool however do be aware that the Toyota dealers have the same tools so if you order one in the mail you can have a Toyota dealer program this if you have one closer then the lexus dealer.

Also to avoid any repeat trips do be sure to have ALL keys with you when having the new one programmed.

lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience: Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, Peter.