lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus
9414525

My lexus key quit working so I installed a new battery. Still

Customer Question

My lexus key quit working so I installed a new battery. Still doesn't work. When I put the battery in, the red indicator light beside the "lock" button flashed continuously for a minute or so.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok this is for the key fob correct ? The car does still start ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's for the second key. And, no, it will not allow the car to do anything.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok did this happen out of the blue or was there any work done to the car ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Out of the blue. One day it worked; the next it didn't. The other key works fine.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
OK so it lost its program then .If it does not start the car or operate the doors then it needs to be reprogrammed .HAs this been tried at the dealer yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. The nearest dealer is 130 miles away.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
You can try this if this does not work it will need to be done by a mobile locksmith or dealer.

Key Programming
1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

Timing may be important. I did the key on and off to the count of 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi said in regular speach -- or just about on the second. Then switched keys in 3-5 seconds. Then opened the door to the same beat.

Remote Programming
1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove TWO TIMES.
3. Close and open the drivers door TWO TIMES.
4. Put key into the ignition and remove.
5. Close and open the drivers door two times.
6. Put key into the ignition. Close the drivers door.
7. Turn ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME- this will put the car in ADD mode for your remote. (Turning the ignition ON then OFF TWO TIMES will ADD the remote but will erase all existing remotes.)
8. Remove the key from the ignition. The door locks will cycle one time (or two if you are erasing) . On the REMOTE press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button for 2 seconds. On the REMOTE press the LOCK button for one second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted. IF the locks cycle twice it has failed. IF this happens you must start over. Hold the remotes higher up for better reception

9. Open and close the drivers door. Put key in ignition and pull out. This will end
programming.

Hoped this helped.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ridiculous answer. There is no key to insert! It's an electronic key. It's a 2007 Lexus. There are no keys to insert. I want my money back.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
OK this was for a 2002 my mistake I misread the question on the year .This year you need to program the key at the dealer or a mobile locksmith.No need to get upset or accept the answer.It does need to go to the dealer or a mobile locksmith can do this for you .It lost its memory.
Expert:  lexpert replied 4 years ago.
Correction here for you and also a free answer, sorry for any confusion you were given. Yes all the LS460's have the wireless smart keys, NO it is not possible for them to "loose" programming so that is NOT the issue here. If the red indicator light worked on this key but it still does not function but your other key works then you have a bad key here that will need to be replaced. If you are still under the 50,000 mile mark then this is still a free repair under warranty at the dealer. If not then you will be responsibe for the repair cost, this key can ONLY be purchaes from a lexus dealer and yes it has to be programmed with a dealers scan tool however do be aware that the toyota dealers have the same tools so if you order one in the mail you can have a toyota dealer program this if you have one closer then the lexus dealer. Also to avoid any repeat trips do be sure to have ALL keys with you when having the new one programmed. Again sorry if your question was not initially answered to your satisfaction, if you wish to get a refund on your deposit you can e-mailXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience: Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, Peter.
Expert:  lexpert replied 4 years ago.

You are very welcome. If you have questions in the future please feel free to request me by name and I will reply to you as soon as I get the message, have a great week!

-Pete