Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Factory training and worked for a heavily Lexus trafficked Toyota store
21364095

2000 rx: master..window was stuck in down position, i..replacing

i have a 2000 rx 300, master widow switch problem.. window was stuck in down position, i assume it was the motor, so after hour's of work getting it out, puchasing a new one, replacing it, it seemed to function the same as the old... so after hours of replacing regulator into the door shell, with window is in down position, and installing a new used switch, when window is now activated, window will go down and stop in proper position, when switch is activated to go up, window travels to the top, does not stop in closed position, continues to travel down, then stops in half way down position
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.

Whenever the automatic window motors are replaced or disassembled, they must be put into learn mode to reset the jam protection. The window system 'knows' where the top of the glass should be based on a learned value. Anytime the glass is moved without the motors request (taking off the regulator), the learned value becomes invalid, and auto-up will think it is jamming and automatically lower itself.

Unfortunately this is going to require removing the unit again to repair.

To put the window back into learn mode, lower the window so that it is in a 'good' position for removing the regulator.

Remove the regulator and motor from the door.

Paintmark the scissor gear so it can be assembled in the same position before reinstallation.

Remove the motor from the regulator.

Reconnect the motor to the door wiring.

Run the window motor in the "UP" direction between 6 and 10 revolutions of the gear (this tells the system it is far beyond its mechanical limits, and puts itself back into jam-protection learn mode.

Once you have rotated the motor "UP" (it MUST be "UP" direction) more than 6 revolutions, but less than 10, reassemble the motor to the regulator, matching your previous paint marks up.

Reinstall the regulator to the door, and attach the glass. Be sure you do NOT push the down switch at any time.

Once reassembled, push the "UP" switch to bring the window to the fully closed position.

Then run the window through its motions fully down and again fully up a few times, then check the Auto operation.

Jam protection should function normally now.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when window was in the full down position,it is seemingly easiest to first remove glas s from regulator, slide it up in track to top position, tape it in place and out of way, then loosen all attachment bolts that hold regulator in place, then slide regulator and attached motor out the door, is it then that I run the motor in the ''up''position 6 but not more tha 10 times ?

does that make sense ?

does it matter what position window is in when you remove glass from regulator ?

Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.

To get the regulator out, it is usually easiest to unbolt the window first, slide it up out of the way and tape it or suction cup it to the top of the door. Then adjust the regulator to the lower position where it is mostly folded flat, and easiest to get out of the door.

Then paintmark the scissor gear so when you reinstall the motor after cycling it 6 times it is easy to match up again.

Just remember you must remove the motor from the regulator to run it up 6-10 revolutions. You can not do that with the regulator still attached to the motor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok

would it be advised to discontect switch from the wiring after the 6 revolutions to make sure switch doesn't get accidently pushed in down position ?

re-assemble as directed, then reconnect switch to test ?

Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.

No, you can leave it connected, but be mindful not to push it in the down direction.

Essentially, if you move the unit before the glass is attached or run up all the way, the new learn mode will already be started and your stopping point will be invalid, putting you back to square one.

Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Factory training and worked for a heavily Lexus trafficked Toyota store
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks,most helpfull, will this whole question andanswer session be emailed to me for ongoing referance, I cannot print from this laptop..
Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.

You should have an email for each post I make; I am not sure if the customer end emails have the text in them or not; on my end the emails have the full text of your posts.

If you need to access the information in the session, you can access this page again either via the links in the emails you have received or by logging in to your questions. As well, you can post again if necessary and I will receive an email notification of your post when I am available.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks for all your guidance

Greg Cassady

Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.

You're welcome, Greg,

Thanks for using JustAnswer!