lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus

P1349 and related misfire codes...where..control valve

Customer Question

need help with 99 rx300.throwing p1349 and related misfire codes.where is oil control valve filter location?

Does anyone have a picture of where this thing is located on a RX300.Bank 1 Sensor 2 according to Lexus.

I have part # XXXXX on hand.

Category: Lexus
Expert:  Matt J replied 6 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be more than happy to assist you.

The engine oil filter is also the filter for the Oil Control Valve.

What have you done and replaced so far to try to fix the problem?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nothing so far. Lexus wants 2200.00 to fix various things. Symptoms are stalling at various speeds, terrible gas mileage, check-engine light...that used to go out from time to time (according to previous owner - mother-in-law). Also have cylinder misfire codes: p0300,p0302,p0304,p0306.
Expert:  Matt J replied 6 years ago.

There is 4 posible causes. Valve Timing, Oil Control Valve, Varible Valve Timing Controller, or Engine Control Module.

Most likely the Oil Control Valve is the cause, but if you have a voltmeter I can walk you though a few test.

Also when was the last time the timing belt was changed?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Serpentine belt and water pump were replaced around 110K. don't know about timing belt but assume around 100K. I can check if it's important.

check-engine light used to come on at various times but always went off according to prior owner but now stays on. I have a multi-meter.

Expert:  Matt J replied 6 years ago.

The timing belt is important if it has not been charged ever or it have been over 90,000 miles.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
serpentine belt, timing belt and water pump all changed at 90K according to previous Lexus dealer.
Expert:  Matt J replied 6 years ago.

Ok then at this point we will assume the timing is ok.

Go to the Oil Control Valve on the rear cylinder head, Unplug it, turn the voltmeter to 10 OHMs and measure the resistance. What is the reading.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks. do not have access to be able to do it right now. pouring rain here and no garage space! will follow up later this week. how do i get back to you?
Expert:  Matt J replied 6 years ago.
Just reply back to this post once you have done the test and we will go from there.