Amedee
Amedee, Lexus Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Honda Civic: wont start..power but the car wont even try to turn

my Honda Civic won't start up. The lights are still getting power but the car won't even try to turn over.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Hello!
Sounds like you may have a bad starter. Make sure that you have battery voltage on both terminals of the starter when cranking. If battery voltage is present and the starter is not working, then the starter is bad and will need to be replaced!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
copy I'll look into it, if the starter is gone then other parts of the car won't turn on? for example: no power to anything in the cab, no radio, no dash lights, won't even start to do a computer check.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Wait... so your saying other things are not powering up? The radio and dahs lights? DOes the dome light work?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dome light, is that the light right next to my sun roof? If thats the name of it then yes that still comes on when I open the door to get in the car but absolutely nothing else comes on. When I turn the key to the first position to turn on the stereo but not the car it won't even do that. That 80A in the fuze box that I changed today, was that a fuze or a relay or a terminal? I changed that today after I I disconnected the battery. Did I screw that up?

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Why did you change it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was trouble shooting the tail lights. They wouldn't come on last night when i turned the head lights on and got pulled over for not having them on. My head lights turned on but the officer told me to step on the brakes and thats the only time they would light up. I was trouble shooting to see if it was just a blown fuze this morning. What is that 80A thing?
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
THat would be a fuse. That could be the problem. If the fuse is blown again or if something is not making a good contact around the fuse or in that area, it can definitely do this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Copy Sir, I changed that just now to see if that could fix the issue but all the fuzes are now brand new with the same result, no power. If the starter change is what you recommend then I'll do that and report back. I'll also have the Starter Solenoid changed to cover that to as this car is fifteen years old with most of the parts are the original stock parts. I'm active Military station over-seas in Spain so I need this car up and running as soon as possible. Anything else you recommend?
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a test light or a voltmeter? I can walk you through the diagnoses if you would like... but you have to stick with me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't own neather. I only have this little fuze set with replacement fuzes. I just replaced the battery with a new one. So battery is new, fuzes are new and still no power to turn the car on. When I turn the key I still don't get anything to respond. My friend and I just tried to jump the car but that didn't do anything.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
TO be honest with you, its just going to be an open in a wire or a bad contact or fuse. If you had either of these two testers, I can walk you through it. But since we do not, I can just tell you were to look.

The battery voltage needs to get form the battery to the starter. IF the battery has full battery voltage, just simply follow the wires or cables ot the fuse box under the hood and then down to the starter. Check all fuses inside the vehicle and be sure they have power to them with the key on. CHeck for loose or corroded contacts anywhere along the way.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will do, now with the OPEN in the wire inspection. Is that an exposed wire and just needs to be covered with some electrical tape? or will it have to be replaced?
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
It depends on how bad it broke. If its a clean cut, you can just re attach it or solder it back together. If its a corroded wire, it should be replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok looking into it now thank you Sir. If anything comes to mind please let me know. XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

My Vehicle specs:
1995 Honda Civic EX
Automatic, Engine: D16Z6
Size:1590cc with ABS
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
SOunds good!

Please dont forget to accept my answer.
Amedee, Lexus Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector