Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lexus Expert
8257649

93 Lexus: overheating..radiator..the cooling system/hoses..coolant

I have a 93 Lexus ES 300 that keeps on overheating......I am not sure how to bleed the air out of the radiator. Can you provide a diagram for the cooling system/hoses and explain how to do this? the Hydraulic fan motors are working properly. After driving the car for about 20 minutes I loose coolant out of the overflow area.....while I am driving the car does not appear to be overheating.

Thanks-Brad
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 4 years ago.

There are no specific bleeding procedures on this coolant system. Once the cap is removed from the outlet that is mounted to the top of the cylinder block/intake manifold that is the highest point for the coolant and air to come out at. If you remove the radiator cap when the coolant is cold and hold the engine RPM at 2000 RPM coolant should slowly start to circulate through the hose and you'll see it bubble up from the housing Once it starts to flow thoroughly and the fan is coming on full all your air pockets should be removed. Have you checked the thermostat?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes....sorry forgot to metion that it was replaced as well.

Also, I did have the radiator replaced a while back....the factory radiator is self contained. The aftermarket radiator had a cap on it.....the company the put aftermarket radiator in said that it would work the same. I recently bought a new overflow tank and installed it. could you please send me the diagram of the overflow tank that shows where the different tubes are supposed to go?....I think I have it right, but since I am Polish I just want to be sure :-)...thanks

Which engine 1MZ or 3VZ? Does it over heat with the t-stat removed?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not sure....I will have to check and get back to you.

Let me know there was a split in production in 93.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i don't see anything on the engine that says 1MZ or 3VZ.......sorry....I feel a little stupid admitting that....ha ha

It will be on the hood sticker or you can get me the VIN number and I can get the right image.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
JT8VK13T1P0211504

Click the link below and save. This is a 3VZ-FE engine.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tgzm2jnd2mg

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you.....

Part number 16470J plugs into the top of the radiator.....the picture looks like the top of the radiator has a place for 2 hoses directly under the area where the cap goes. is this correct?...I ran the car in my garage last night witht the radiator cap off for about 45 minutes....AC was on....the car did not overheat one time.....I did see a ton of bubbles come up and I would add more coolant in small amounts.....could the issue have been are trapped in the system?....any suggestions? thanks again

It could be air pockets but if you're continuing to get bubbles in the top of the radiator and if the system builds pressure very quickly within five minutes of starting the car there's a good possibility that you have head gaskets that are starting to leak. If his engine has been hot one too many times these head gaskets are known to blow. As far as the other outlet on the radiator tank I don't recall that specific year but I think that picture is just a representation. If you continue to hold the RPMs at 2000 RPMs and the coolant is flowing freely and it is not taking any more additional coolant then the system is full. if you continue to have overheating issues you're probably looking at head gaskets if the hydraulic fan is working correctly.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok....one last thing.....

I just drove it for lunch.....the needle stayed right in the middle the entire time....AC was running......as soon as I came back to work, Coolant came out of the overflow tank.....makes no sense....like I said....the gauge was right where it was supposed to be and the car drove perfect.....18 mile trip

If coolant keeps getting pushed into the reservoir bottle and you know you have all the air pockets out and hydraulic cooling fan is functioning normally this means the head gaskets are leaking combustion gases into the water jacket and super heats the coolant and pushes the coolant into the reservoir bottle.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the cooling fan motor was just replaced.....however, I don't ever hear it increasing speed. Is there anything else I can check just to be sure that I don't have to tear it down to the heads?

There is a duty cycle valve at the pump that controls the oil pressure to the fan motor based on the temp of the engine coolant. If the vehicle is not running hot there probably is nothing wrong with the system. If you run the engine at 2500 RPM for 5 to ten minutes when the engine is hot you can watch and listen to the fan cycle on and off but it should never just stop or that is a problem. By jumping OP1 and E1 in the check connector it runs the pump full speed.

The temperature sensor that is mounted in the thermostat housing on the front of the engine and normally is brown is a sensor that reports the temperature of the coolant to the cooling fan ECU. I have seen these temperature sensors go bad normally it will cause the coolant to run hot because the duty cycle cannot keep up with the inaccurate temperature signal. I also have seen and worked with a couple of people who had bad cooling fan ECU's. Click the link below and save for more information.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yty2mirdwy4

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

that was very helpful !

if I choose to Accept the answer how can I reach you again once I have a chance to trouble shoot these areas?

thanks Again!

You can continue to reply to this post anytime even after you accept. That would be appreciated. Thank you. All I ask is that you do not abuse my time.

Skyvisions

Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Lexus Expert