Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician qualified to work on all makes and models.

My 2003 Lexus ES300 Keeps stalling out while driving and Idle.

Customer Question

My 2003 Lexus ES300 Keeps stalling out while driving and Idle. Also the oil light blinks on and off as if its loosing oil. I changed the oil in my car every 300,00 miles. Also hear a nasty fluttering noise in the engine almost like a slight knocking sound. At first I thought it was the alternator because my battery was dead and I couldn't jump it. then I bought a new battery for my car and it started right up. as I drove it to the nearest shop it stalled on me every time I got to a traffic light. what could the problem be
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok is the check engine light on?How many miles on the car?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The check Engin light was on but when I replaced the battery it must have reset everything. the Mileage is 106,425,
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
OK is there still a knocking noise?Did the stalling start after replacing the battery?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes its still a knocking noise, the stalling started befor the battery was changed and it has continued since the change.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok is there alot of sludge on the oil cap?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I wouldnt say sludge, but it is a noticable amount of excess oil on the cap, and in the creveses of the oil port
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
OK these motors are known for excessive sludge build up and can be causing the knocking noise so I would have this checked along with the oil pressure .As for the stalling try this disconnect the battery then clean the throttle body and plate and see if it still stalls.If so then you need to disconnect the MAF and see if it then stalls .If it does not stall the MAf is bad and needs replacement .These are what should be checked next .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
whats the MAF and where is it located? Also what can I do to Unclog engine sludge?
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok the Mass Air Flow sensor in the air tube to the air filter .As for the sludge it would need to be professionally cleaned which can be expensive. Also have the oil pressure checked to make sure the pump is operating correctly .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
where is the oil pump located, just out of curiosity?
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Behind the timing cover.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The timin belt cover?
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Yes the timing cover.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you recommend me to take it to a auto shoop or do it myself?
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Honestly I would bring it to a shop at least for the diagnosis.