lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus

rx 330 dashboard is cracking

Customer Question

rx 330 dashboard is cracking
Category: Lexus
Expert:  lexpert replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

Can you elaborate on this please?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What could I say, the dashboard just started to crack in several locations. around the key, over the glove compartment over the section by the radio etc. Why is this happening and what should I do

Expert:  lexpert replied 6 years ago.

Do you have any pictures of this?

Have you owned the vehicle since new?

Are these fine cracks or deep and wide open cracks?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They start as line cracks and get wider. I have not taken any pictures .I owned the vehicle from new.
Expert:  lexpert replied 6 years ago.

ok, pictures would be helpful to know exactly what we are dealing with here.

I will say that this is NOT common on your vehicle, the main times I see this issue is after a dash is "repaired" when an air bag is depolyed on the passenger side after a collision, the dash is constructed of a thick hard plastic material, then it has a slight insulation layer before the soft vinyl cover is applied, if the top layer of the dash is cracking or seperating then your options are limited here, you can basically have the dash repaired or replaced, there are interior vinyl repair companies that cater to dealerships and owners to correct issues like this, basically they recoat the current dash and then recolor the repairs to match factory coloring or if you replace the dash it would accomplish the same thing......replacing a dash is EXTREMELY expensive however here. Once these start to split they act similar to a crack in a windshield, the crack will continue to expand.