lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus
9414525

key will not go into ignition. only about 1 cm goes in and

key will not go into ignition. only about 1 cm goes in and then the steering wheel moves up and down
Category: Lexus
Expert:  lexpert replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

Can you elaborate on this please?

Is this the only lexus you own or are you possibly inserting the key from another vehicle?

Did the key operate normally the last time you drove the vehicle?

Is the ignition cylinder in the full OFF position or is it possible that the key came out the last time you drove it and the ignition is not fully off?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is the only Lexus I own. I drove the car a half hour before I tried to start it again. The key was working fine. The cylinder is in the lock position.
Expert:  lexpert replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the reply.

Can you see any obstructions in the ignition cylinder if you shine a light down it?

If you wiggle the key does this help at all?

How many miles are on this?

Do you have a spare key handy?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no obstruction in the ignition cylinder that I can see. Wiggling doesn"t help. I already tried the spare key. The car has about 50,000 miles. Red security light flashing.
Expert:  lexpert replied 4 years ago.

The red light flashes because the key is not fully inserted.

Check something for me here- I want to check for a dead battery- do you have enough power to turn on the headlamps?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Headlights work. Key now goes in but will not turn.
Expert:  lexpert replied 4 years ago.
Ok, this may be electrical then, did you try shaking the steering wheel while turning the key to be sure that this is not the steering lock engaged?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried shaking the steering wheel but it still doesn't work.
Expert:  lexpert replied 4 years ago.

Is the steering wheel locked?

Also check to be sure that the shifter is securely in the PARK position.

Sorry for so many replies here, this can get complicated when we have to type every sentence out...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Steering wheel is turned all the way to the right and locked. The shifter is in Park.
Expert:  lexpert replied 4 years ago.
The shift lock is the issue here then, sometimes you really have to JERK on the steering wheel while turning the key slightly toward start, tell me what happens here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried, still locked...
Expert:  lexpert replied 4 years ago.
I want you to spary a little lubricant down the ignition cylinder such as wd-40, now try this again and use you spare key to be sure this is not a key issue, report back, thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'll have to get some in the morning and try again. Thanks.

Expert:  lexpert replied 4 years ago.
Ok, let me know what hapens, how many miles are on this vehicle now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There are 50,000 miles.

Expert:  lexpert replied 4 years ago.

ok, reason I ask is because this would be a covered item under your factory 4 year/50,000 mile warranty if you are still under that limit unless you purchased an extended warranty.

If lubricating the cylinder does not help tomorrow then put a battery charger or jumper cables on it just to be sure that there is not a low voltage issue causing the shift interlock to jamb the cylinder.

After that the truck would need to be towed to the dealer for a new ignition cylinder.

Sorry for your troubles and thank you for your continued replies this evening.

lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience: Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus