Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

LX470: hydraulic fluid..90k miles says its a throw away..a design flaw

Customer Question

Water recently, unknowingly, found its way into my LX470 hydraulic fluid (system) deeming it useless, thus $14,000 repair tag on a 99' with 90K miles says its a throw away. Is this a design flaw I have legal reason to pursue?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 4 years ago.

What syatem did water get into?

How did the water get into the system?

Genchi

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The shock system where the hydraulic reservoir pumps the oil into the shocks as needed. Although they do not seal the holding reservior (which they should) somehow water got in. That said the milky appearing liquid would not fully drain

Did the repair facility identify how water got in the system or are they guessing?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We (owners and mechanics) dont' know. It likely happened more recently as the shocks may have failed sooner

This is very likely as once the shocks fail and leak fluid, all fluid can and will pass in both directions. It will seep out and will allow water/contamination in. I just checked the TIS(Toyota Information System) and did not see any Service Bulletins pertaining to this concern and there are no Recalls for this.

The best course of action (if you decide to fix it or submit the claim to your insurance) is the try and identify were the water intrusion happened before attempting a full repair. I have never seen this personally other than by an improper repair.

Genchi

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is a sealed system and is not supposed to leak, why the shocks were failing is something I don't understand but the system is designed not to leak. I know there are other cases however rare out there. Lexus has volunteered to comp the repair in some prior cases leading me to believe that it is a design flaw

Have you talked to Lexus about this and are they going to cover it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The dealership is trying to help us

This is what they will typically do in cases like this. I know of no desigen flaw pertaining to this but as with all vehicle model lines there are pattern failures. This may or may not be a very common one but yet may still persist as an uncommon but heard of one. This could be why the Dealer is trying to get help from Lexus. It is also in their interest to hjelp keep you as a Lexus customer.

Genchi