Lexus expert
Lexus expert, ASE Certified Technician

My 1995 ES300 Lexus will not go into drive or reverse. I was

Customer Question

My 1995 ES300 Lexus will not go into drive or reverse. I was getting a P0500 code. I replaced the transmission speed sensor, and it has the same indication. Last night I replaced the transmission filter. The car drove smooth for about 10 minutes, then it started again. Sometimes when the car is shut off the car will go into drive and reverse, but then does the same thing. Any ideas? Help please!
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Lexus expert replied 7 years ago.

hi i can help, here is some tests we need to do , but 9 out of 19 of these turn out to be a faulty pcm ,check this and let me know what you find,

Customer Concern:Check Engine Light is on. . Getting Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Code P0500. Replaced the Vehicle Speed Sensor. The speedometer works, so the VSS should be fine.
Tests/Procedures:1. Unplug the combination meter and check the voltage on the Violet/Yellow wire with the key on - look for 5 or 12 volts.

2. Plug the combination meter back in, back probe and scope the Violet/Yellow wire. Look for a square wave signal while driving.

3. Cut the wire at the computer and check to see if the voltage is coming out of the computer.

4. Disconnect the cruise control computer to see if the 5 volt reference comes back on the Violet/Yellow wire.
Potential Causes:Combination Meter
Computer - A shorted computer could cause this problem
Cruise Control Electronic Control Unit (ECU) - A shorted cruise control computer could cause this code.
Wiring Harness
Tech Tips:The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) in the Transaxle inputs a square wave signal to the combination meter (speedometer head) and the combination meter controls the signal to the computer. The computer sends out a 5-volt reference and the combination meter (speedometer head) pulses the signal to ground. The manual shows the cruise control unit (if equipped) sends out a 12-volt reference, so may see 5 volts or 12 volts on that Violet/Yellow wire with the combination meter unplugged, but then plugged in and driving should see a square wave signal there. If the voltage is there but no square wave signal when driving, replace the combination meter.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. I will check this step out as soon as I can. Will I be able to get back with you at a later date.