lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus
9414525

I have a Lexus 2000 RX300. Driver side door no longer locks

Customer Question

I have a Lexus 2000 RX300.
Driver side door no longer locks with the remote keys.
The driver side rear view window likes to move back and forth without being touched
and the driver side window doesn't like to go up without some toggling effort.

Could it be a central computer or piece that needs to be changed?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer and sorry to hear of your issues here.

So that I can properly analyze this and best help you I need to clarify this a little.

1- Driver side door:

-Is this the front driver door or the rear driver side door?

-Is the issue both for LOCK and UNLOCK or just one of them?

-If you maually lock the door with the lock on the inner door handle does this stil function?

-Did this start happening after a repair or for no aparent reason?

-You stated it doesn't lock with the remote.....if you use the power lock switch on the window master switch does it work? What about if you insert the key into the door does the manaul ke command operte the lock?

2- Driver side rear view window......what exactly are we discussing here? Do you mean the mirror glass on the driver side external mirror?

3- Driver side window- is this the front or rear one? Is it just slow to operate?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Peter, Thanks for the quick reply.
It's the front driver door.
The issue is both for LOCK and Unlock with the remote key
Yes, I can manually lock the door with a key or from the inside.
It does not respond to the master switch.

Driver exterior review mirror. The adjustment motor likes to spaz.

The window also belongs to the front driver side.

Thanks
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the reply.

One last question here.

If you cycle the lock buton on the master switch to lock/unlock.lock.unlock while watching the lock on the driver door does it twitch or move a little?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK I check it out.
It doesn't twitch.
The car also no longer beeps when you lock it with the remote.
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the reply.

It does not beep because the driver door is not locking.

Try this for me please so that I can narrow it down:

-What I want you to do is sit in the driver seat, key in your hand not the ignition

-Close all doors

-MANUALLY lock the driver door

-Now push the LOCK buttom on the remote key and tell me if the other doors lock/beep operates and the security system activates

Tell me what happens

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Good Question!

I manually locked the driver door and pushed the lock on the remote key.
It then beeped. The lock also twitched a little.
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for taking the time and for being willing to check that, you are a great help here.

I have you covered and diagnosed here then.

1- the lock issue, not a big deal, the power lock actuator in the driver door is worn out. Very very common on the RX. The atuator is part of the latch assembly and contains the lock position sensors as well. All the problems you have with locking.unlocking and alarm are directly related to this. If the power lock does not move the lock to position then the alarm will not operate or set. For now what you can do is manually lock the car with the key in the door and then press the "lock" button on the remote to activate the alarm when you leave the vehicle parked somewhere. When you insert the key to unlock the door when returning this will deacivate the alarm as well. As far as repair the door panel needs to be removed to gain access to the assembly, there is 1 electrcal connector and 2 lock arms that connect to the unit inside the door, it is held to the door using the 2 torx bolts exposed on the latch side and the window track also needs to be removed to allow access for removal/installation, not an easy or fun job for a at home repair, keep in mind also that the master window switch is about a $800 part and easily damaged when removing to gain access to the door panel retainer screws. I would highly consider letting a Lexus or a Toyota dealer address this, the labor charge should be 1.5 labor hours, anything more then that and they are rippping you off. If memory serves me here I believe that the part is roughly $300????????

As far as your question on the driver mirror. This can be one of a couple things. Be sure that where the mirror housing swivels on the mount that is has no freeplay. Most commonly what happens here is that the electronic actuator inside the mirror develops freeplay and allows this to happen, Lexus considers this a crash part and only sells the entire mirror assembly so it is by no means a "cheap" repair, if this was my vehicle I would try to locate a used one in good shape (or just ignore it as I have my wife do on my 1999 RX Wink)

As far as the window concern. I recommend spraying some lubricant such as "drylube" or spray silicone lubricant down the window run seal that the glass rides, it is common for these to dry out and cause the window to bind. Do keep in mind that with a binding window it also puts aditional strain and wear on the window motor, if this has been happening for a while the window motor may also need to be replaced.

Sorry for the delay it takes time to type out a detailed response. Please let me know if you need any clarification or additional details here. If this is all you need from me please hit the accept button before you log out so I recieve credit for my time, or simply reply back if you would like to continue ou conversation. Thank you again.

lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience: Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Great answers, worth the wait.
I have an other question, which I'm more than happy to pay for.

Under the dash board, on the passenger side. there is grinding sound that occasionally occurs.
I read on an other website it might be related to the air conditioner.
Any ideas.
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.

Also common.

Most likely you are gering the "air mix servo motor", it sits right next to the heater core line and literally "cooks" over time and can make a clicking/cycling noise as it twitches around.

The part is several hundred dollars, the labor time and procedure calls for something rediculous like 4.5 hours.......sad thing is that if you are an experienced tehnician you can replace this in like 5 minutes if you know how to get around dash removal. I would take a look on craigslist to see if there are any master cartified Lexus technicians looking for side work if you want to get that one addressed.

lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks! I hope you got your bonus!
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.

Yes I did, thank you very much!

I also submittede a report to website management to have your other question closed so please disregard if you recieve any e-mails related to responding to that one, being the weekend it may be mondya until they address that one.

Thank you again and feel free to log back in and reply to THIS question if you need any further input, I am always willing to post follow ups to alredy accepted questions. HAve a good weekend.

-Pete