lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus
9414525

My 2003 GX470 is leaking transfer case oil. TSIB TC007-06

My 2003 GX470 is leaking transfer case oil. TSIB TC007-06 "Transfer Case O-Ring Seal Leaks" seems to cover this issue. That TSIB recommend replacing the o-ring, which costs around $5.00 and a gasket kit costs around $60.00. After getting repair quotes from the dealing for $2,300.00 and from a local mechanic for $1,000, I am considering changing the o-ring myself.
              &nb sp;                                                                                                                                     I am wondering just how difficult it is to break open the transfer case and replace the o-ring? I usually do all car maintenance myself after the warrant expires--everything from major service, rebuilding brakes, and I once rebuilt an engine; however I never touched a transmission or transfer case. BTW: A used transfer case out of a wrecked GX470 costs around $500.00, which I could definitely replace myself.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  lexpert replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

Removing and installing the transfer case as I am sure you know is relatively easy. Simply removing the driveshafts, the electrical connections and unbolting the transfer case from the transmission can be done with simple tools and little experience.

I would not recommend a used unit unless it is coming off a newer model GX that was produced after the issue was resolved. If you are going to attempt tear down and overhaul yourself I would reommend you get a subscription to www.techinfo.toyota.com for access to detailed instructions on the transfer case. Not the easiest job to do, I as an experienced technician can do this in about half a day.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the quick response and I do have the service manual for the GX470. Another option is to just pull the transfer case and take it to a transmission shop. Have you ever disassembled a transfer case? What do you think is my best option to take--DIY or transmission shop?
Expert:  lexpert replied 7 years ago.
If you have never been inside a transmission/transfer case or a differential......I would consider having this done professionally, this is completely differetn from the standard nuts and bolts of rebuilding an engine. You will definately save some $$$$ if you remove and reinstall the unit yourself and just pay someone to do the actual seal swap for you.