lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus

ls: grinding like noise..I accelerate..I rev up the engine in neutral

My ls 400 93 makes a grinding like noise. It makes it when the car is in idle and when I accelerate. It makes the the noise too when I rev up the engine in neutral. I thought it was the timing belt bearing making the noise but I got that fixed it still made that noise. the grinding noise sounds like it right next to the a/c low service port. This car has 161,000 miles on it and was never taking in for . I replaced the timing belt/timing belt kit/ water pump/ serpentine belt. What could be making that noise is it something that needed to get replaced though a maintenance. The engine also souds louder, like it's working harder because of what ever's making that noise. I have an audio of what it sounds like also, thanks.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.

I never recieved the audio file from you.

Can you please load it to a site such as youtube or mediafire or if you have a myspace file, just give me a link, as I stated before I need to hear this.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay go to myspace.com/cotlobm11 and the song's name is lexus
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX PERFECT!

Ok I heard the noise you are talking about when revving the motor up and know exactly what that is.
I am also hearing the rattle/ping/vibration noise you described but the audio you loaded was not completely clear on this....did you have your microphone under the hood or in the car?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i actually had it under the hood, right on top of were I heard it that noise coming from. the noise came from the left portion of the motor, right next to the high and low end service ports for the a/c. so have any clue?
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.

Yes.

First when you first started the car I heard the power steering pump make noise, check to be sure that the fluid level is FULL. If this noise gets worse then the pump will need to be replaced. Another issue that can cause this is if the idle control valve on the pump goes bad it can literally "suck" the fluid out of the pump and cause noise from the pump as well as thick white smoke from the exhaust when you dirst start it.

As far as the noise when revving the motor up (heard at the half way point during your audio clip) you have a leaking EGR pipe. This pipe commonly crackes open, it runs from the back side of the upper intake manifold down to the right exhaust manifold. THe service manual calls for transmission removal to access this pipe however I have found that if the catalytic converter is removed from this side you can replace the pipe using some swivel sockets as long and the hardware for the pipe is not badly rusted, if not then the transmission has to come out to replace this.

lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience: Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus