AutoTech08
AutoTech08, Workshop owner
Experience:  Diploma in Automotive Engineering, 30 years working experience.
12605055

LS: the oilringoil seal leak - sorry i..camshaft..timing belt..lean

I have y2000 1uz engine code,LS 400,
I thought i could change the "oilring"oil seal leak - sorry i don t know the english word- on the end of the camshaft than i change the timing belt.After came the suprise.I dont know how to install it together from the timing belt,because of the vvti engine i dont know which state should i install the vvti head.it can lean left or right.
so my question is ,can u please tell me the correct procedure of how to install together the engine from the timing belt change.
l
thax

Joe
Category: Lexus
Expert:  AutoTech08 replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

Do you mean you have difficulty aligning the timing marks for the belt installation? Here are the diagrams for the cam and crank alignment.

graphic

graphic

Installation

1. Install No. 1 idler pulley and plate washer (if removed). Apply Loctite 242 or equivalent on threads of idler pulley pivot bolt. Install and tighten bolt to specification.

2. If removed, install No. 2 idler pulley and bolt. Tighten bolt to specification. Ensure idler pulleys are clean and rotate smoothly. Ensure idler pulley bracket moves freely.

3. Clean any oil or water off of crankshaft timing pulley. DO NOT use solvent. Temporarily install timing belt on crankshaft timing pulley, No. 1 idler pulley, and No. 2 idler pulley. If reusing old belt, ensure mating mark on timing belt aligns with mark on crankshaft timing pulley.

4. Install timing belt guide in original direction on end of crankshaft. Install gasket and timing belt cover spacer. Install gaskets and No. 1 timing belt cover.

5. Without rotating crankshaft, align crankshaft key with key groove of crankshaft pulley. Using hammer and Pulley Installer (09223-46011) or equivalent, install crankshaft pulley.

6. Install serpentine drive belt tensioner. Tighten bolts to specification. Install generator. Ensure crankshaft is still at 50 degrees ATDC position. See Fig. 4 .

graphic

7. Ensure camshaft timing pulleys are still aligned with mating marks on rear plate. See Fig. 3 . Clean camshaft timing pulleys (do not use solvent). Install timing belt on left side (driver's side) camshaft pulley. If reusing old timing belt, ensure mating mark on belt aligns with mark on left side camshaft pulley.

8. Using spanner wrench, turn left side camshaft pulley until there is tension on timing belt between crankshaft timing pulley and left side camshaft pulley.

9. Install timing belt on right side camshaft pulley. If reusing old belt, ensure mating mark on belt aligns with mark on right side camshaft pulley. Ensure there is tension on timing belt between left side and right side camshaft pulleys.

10. Using press, SLOWLY apply about 200-220.5 lbs. of pressure on push rod of timing belt tensioner until rod is retracted. Ensure timing belt tensioner is held with push rod facing upward. Holes in push rod and housing must be aligned. See Fig. 7 .

graphic

11. Install hexagon wrench through holes in housing and rod to hold rod in retracted position. See Fig. 7 . Release press. Install dust boot on timing belt tensioner. Install timing belt tensioner. Alternately tighten bolts to specification.

CAUTION: Always rotate crankshaft clockwise as viewed from front of engine. DO NOT rotate crankshaft counterclockwise.

12. Remove hexagon wrench from timing belt tensioner. Temporarily install crankshaft pulley bolt. Slowly rotate crankshaft 2 full revolutions clockwise from TDC to TDC. Ensure timing marks on camshaft sprockets align with timing marks on timing belt rear plate. See Fig. 3 . If timing marks are not aligned, remove timing belt and reinstall.

13. Tighten crankshaft pulley bolt to specification. Install fan bracket.

14. Install A/C compressor. Install No. 2 timing belt cover. Install No. 3 timing belt covers. Connect camshaft position sensor electrical connectors. Install serpentine drive belt idler pulley.

15. Install radiator assembly. Install air cleaner assembly. Fill and bleed cooling system. Start engine and open heater water valve. Maintain engine speed at 2000-2500 RPM until engine is warm. Stop engine. When engine is cool, refill coolant reservoir.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello!

If i pay more could you send more specify details, of putting together the engine.

expecially the vvti head,cause i dont know which position should it be.

i think of more pictures and more details.

thanx

Hi Pete,

Your question is not very clear so I need some clarification in order to know what needs to be done. Correct me if I am wrong.

You are rebuilding the engine and is at the stage of installing the camshafts and timing belts?

Head has been installed?

You need to know how to position the camshafts for installation?

If you have any other information that you think might help, please let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi!

Yesterday i replied,but i dont really know how to use this site.Did you get my questions

? When i push the Accept button what happens?

Did i sent you the cash or after pushing the accept button?

thanx

Hi Pete,

Sorry I did not get any replies from you. Whenever you read the thread, you would be able to make replies at the bottom of the page. Just click reply after typying in what you want to post.

If you click ACCEPT, payment will be made. Each click made means a payment so do not click yet. Wait till we have really done some work.

I need to know the answers to the question I asked.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello

Thanx for the answer.

first of all: There is a problem with adjusting the head.the problem is that when you put the vvti head on the camshaft it has two position,(left or right).We had to change the oil ring or seal on the end of the camshaft,cause it leaked.Probably i dont have the correct vocabulary if you dont understand.Sorry abut that,so i try a different way.

Can u send more pictures and description about putting together the head and the camshaft.

We already did it but the car didnt had enough power and the computer noticed a problem " problem with the vvti head adjusment" or something like this,than we immediately stop the engine.

I hope u can help

I will provide the removal and installation procedures for the camshafts and if there is anything that you are not clear, let me know.

Removal

1. Disconnect negative battery cable. Drain cooling system. Remove air cleaner assembly. Remove battery cover and battery. Remove timing belt. Remove camshaft position sensor.

2. Remove left and right timing belt rear plates. Disconnect power steering pump from engine. Disconnect front exhaust pipe from catalytic converter. Remove converter. Disconnect thermostat hose. Remove water by -pass pipe. Remove front and rear water by-pass joint. Remove ignition coils, VVT sensors and engine hangers. Remove oil dipstick and tube guide.

3. Remove cylinder head covers. If necessary, remove semi-circular plugs. Remove camshaft timing oil control valve.

4. Ensure timing mark of crankshaft pulley aligns with centers of crankshaft pulley bolt and idler pulley bolt. Rotate camshaft timing tube from left to right 2 to 3 times within its range of movement, to release oil from front bearing caps.

5. Using wrench, bring service bolt hole of sub-gear upward by turning hexagon wrench head portion of exhaust camshaft. Secure sub-gear on each exhaust camshaft to main gear with a service bolt (6 x 1 x 20 mm). See Fig. 17

graphic

6. Before removing camshaft bearing cap bolts, ensure torsional spring force of sub-gear is retained by service bolt. To remove right cylinder head camshafts (viewed from rear of engine), rotate exhaust camshaft in right cylinder head, and position timing mark (one dot) at 10-degree angle to top of cylinder head surface. Remove right camshaft bearing cap bolts in sequence using several steps. See Fig. 19 . Remove camshafts.

graphic

graphic

7. Using wrench, bring service bolt hole of sub-gear upward by turning hexagon wrench head portion of exhaust camshaft. Secure sub-gear on each exhaust camshaft to main gear with a service bolt (6 x 1 x 20 mm). See Fig. 17

8. Before removing camshaft bearing cap bolts, ensure torsional spring force of sub-gear is retained by service bolt. To remove left cylinder head camshafts (viewed from rear of engine), rotate exhaust camshaft, and position timing mark (2 dot marks) at 15-degree angle to top of cylinder head surface. Remove left camshaft bearing cap bolts in sequence using several steps. See Fig. 19 . Remove camshafts.

9. To disassemble exhaust camshaft, mount hexagonal area of camshaft in soft-jaw vise. Using Spanner (09960-10010), rotate sub-gear clockwise. Remove service bolt. Remove snap ring, wave washer, sub-gear and gear spring. To disassemble intake camshaft, mount hexagonal area of camshaft in soft-jaw vise. Remove screw plug and seal washer. Using 10-mm hex wrench, remove bolt from drive gear assembly. Remove timing tube and drive gear assembly. If necessary, remove drive gear from timing tube.

Installation

To install right cylinder head camshafts, apply grease to thrust surfaces of intake and exhaust camshafts. Install intake and exhaust camshafts in right cylinder head. Position timing mark (1 dot) of camshaft main gear at 10-degree angle to cylinder head.

2. Install camshaft housing plug to cylinder head. Install camshaft oil control valve filter to cylinder head. Apply sealant to front bearing cap. Install front bearing cap. Install camshaft bearing caps with arrows pointing forward. See Fig. 20 . Push in camshaft oil seal.

graphic

graphic

3. Coat threads and under head of bearing cap bolts "D" and "E". See Fig. 21 . DO NOT apply engine oil under heads of bearing cap bolts "A", "B" and "C". Install oil feed pipe. Install bearing cap bolts. See Fig. 21 . Tighten 22 bearing caps in several steps using proper sequence. See Fig. 23 .

graphic

graphic

graphic

4. To install left cylinder head camshafts, apply grease to thrust surfaces of exhaust and intake camshafts. Install camshafts. Align timing mark (2 dots) on each gear. Install exhaust camshaft in cylinder head. Place camshaft oil control valve filter to cylinder head. Apply sealant to front bearing cap. Install front bearing caps in sequence with arrow mark facing forward. See Fig. 20 . Push in camshaft oil seal.

5. Coat threads and under heads of bearing cap bolts "D" and "E". See Fig. 21 . DO NOT apply engine oil under heads of bearing cap bolts "A", "B", and "C". Lubricate bearing cap-to-bolt head surface with engine oil. Install oil pipe. Install camshaft bearing cap bolts. Install proper length bolts in specified area. See CAMSHAFT BEARING CAP BOLTS SPECIFICATIONS table. See Fig. 21 .

graphic

6. Tighten exhaust camshaft bearing cap bolts to specification in sequence using several steps. See Fig. 23. Remove service bolt from exhaust camshaft.

7. To install remaining components, reverse removal procedure. Fill and bleed cooling system
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello again.

I know i m not your best costumer but i need to know something else

So again: we only changed the seal at the end of the camshaft,and something wrong with the head because the car s computer said it.

we dont know how the vvti head should stand.(control system)

Or please you should ask first,because i havent spokon english for 15 years,and it seems...

Sorry again

No worries about asking questions if there is anything that you do not understand.

The VVTi sprocket fits into the the camshaft only in one position. The problem that you are facing should be the installation of the timing belt. Did you check the timing belt installation as per my first answer?

Refer to the diagrams to get the markings for the timing belt alignment. If the cam timing mark is out, you would need to turn the cam to get them aligned while installing.

When cam timing marks are not correctly installed, the PCM would notice the problem and register a fault code.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can the vvti sprocket turn on the camshaft when you install it?As you can see on the 3. and 4. pictures.i think the problem is that i dont know the name of whats is on the camshaft,i called it vvti head but Is this the vvti sporcket?Any way it can turn when its on the camshaft.(left or right).And it should turn because this is how vvti works.

But which way should i install it???

Thanx for the 10 x times Laughing

graphic

I have been having connection problems and is unable to see the second diagram.

I would leave the question open by opting out as I will be away for the next 2 days and some other experts would attend to you in due time.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

sorry but there is no second diagram, i did something wrong.

So i have problem with the 3. digaram,

thanx

I believe you are refering th to VVTi controller.

After fully inserting the VVTi controller, turn the controller by hand to ensure it is correctly seated onto the knocking pin. Proceed to tighten the camshaft bolt by holding the camshaft at the haxagonal section of the camshaft.

The controller can move on the camshaft within a 30 degrees angle if there is no oil in it.

You need not worry about the camshaft when installing the timing belt, just ensure the cam sprocket timing is correct.

Btw what is the error code that you are getting?

AutoTech08, Workshop owner
Experience: Diploma in Automotive Engineering, 30 years working experience.