Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lexus Expert
8257649

LX470: front axle..CV..it be removed without removing the spindle

How do I remove the front axle from my LX470? I am going to replace the CV boots. Can it be removed without removing the spindle? I was hoping the 14mm nuts on the outside of the hub would allow me to remove the axle from the backside of the spindle. Is this right?

You have many options with today's internet so Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com.

What year is the lx470?

RXXXXX XXXXX

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If you feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
2005

Click the link below and save the info. Some times you can disconnect the ball joint and swing the whole assemble out far enough to get the axle out of the hub it is a matter of personal preference.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nzynmkj51uw

http://www.mediafire.com/?zwuh45zy10y

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
are you suggesting that I may be able to remove the axle without remove the ABS sensor and just disconnecting the upper and lower ball joint?

The abs sensor does not need to come out. They are normally frozen in any way. The detection ring on the axle will clear the sensor tip. Just be careful on the wire if you start to maneuver the hub assembly around so you do not stretch and break the wire.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When replacing the boots, should I clean out all the old grease and re-apply new and if so what should I clean it with? I realize this is another question. Do I need to go back to the web site and resubmit?

If the boots are broken open the joint needs washed out with parts solvent or gasoline just use caution. Blow the joint dry. If the boot is not broken open you can just wipe the old grease out with a clean rag and use the new grease in the boot kit. Any way you do it this is a messy job.

RXXXXX XXXXX