lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus
9414525

2000 GS300: cranks but wont start no codes no spark with auterra..rpm

2000 GS300 cranks but wont start no codes no spark with auterra can see rpm while cranking
Category: Lexus
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using just answer. How many miles are on the car and did the car die while driving or was this a cold no-start situation? Are there any codes stored in the system as active or pending? I assume auterra is some sort of scan tool correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
190,000 cold start in garge, and no codes i suspect ignitor yes auterra is a scan tool with some peramiters like rpm-spark advance-maf flow etc.
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.
So have you actually checked for spark or are you assuming no spark? Did the car run normally yesterday before parking?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes checked for spark NO SPARK! ran fine today go to start in garage about 60deg f not to cold no start took # XXXXX plug wire off no spark
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.
Before I start making some recommendations or listing some checks here have you checked anything else?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
made sure it had plenty of fuel charged battery checked for codes made sure timing belt in tacked and tight thats all that i checked i suspect the ignitor because it shows rpm but when i crank it dosent show timing advace move
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.

YOu stated you checked the timing belt is in place, the very first check I would make here is to be sure the timing belt is in proper position!!!! THis belt needs to be replaced every 90,000 miles. If the belt jumps time then you have big problems:

1- The engine compares the crankshaft and camshaft position sensor readings to determine fuel and spark delivery. If the timing is not right then the car runs very poorly or not at all

2- This is an INTERFERENCE vvt-i motor, if the timing goes out then you have a very good chance of valve damage, I have had to pull too many of these cylinder heads. Not a fun or cheap job

Check the timing belt position first. I can upload a few check sheets and diagrams for you once you verify the timing.

The igniter is built into the coils on this car but we can tackle that next. You basically have 3 coils that fire 2 cylinders each.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is an ignitor box on the drivers side engine compatment with about 10 wires coming out of it 2-1/2 inch by 2-1/2 inch and 1/2 thick the timing belt looks fine almost new no cracks turns over fine just no spark
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.
Did you read my last statement, belt CONDITION is not what I care about right now, it's the position. A timing belt is NOT like an accessory serpentine drive belt, the timing marks need to be properly lined up for spark to occur. If you are going to properly inspect the no-start condition then you need to take this one step at a time and in proper order. Do you know how to check timing alignment marks? There are 2 sets of marks on this car.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i dont know i dont have a manuuel on this car but im would like to know i ruled out the timing belt but will look at it again more info please?
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX need to inspect the position of the timing belt, this is the MOST likely cause if the car ran fine until you restarted it. Look at this picture below:

graphic

Take a 22mm wrench and rotate the lower pulley (crankshaft) until the white XXXXX XXXXXnes up with "0". The marks on the upper camshaft pullies should line up perfectly with the refrence marks on the backing plate at 12:00 positon, if they are not in sight you may need to rotate the crankshaft 1 more revolution, the cams rotate 1 time for every 2 crank rotations.

Let me know what you find, I have a feeling you will find a timing belt issue.

If not then right click the link below I posted the next check sheet to:

http://www.mediafire.com/?nzmiyanhmgo

I will be logging off for the evening soon, if you need more help simply reply, if this is what you need from me for now then remember to hit "accept" before you log out. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so i checked timing belt it is perfect. thank u for download i think this will help alot how do i check signal to igt from ecm (see page DI-120)
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.

Checking that part of the circuit requires an expensive tool known as a oscilloscope, click below for more information, basically the ECM sends an IGT signal (tells to fire) to the igniter, coils fire and send back an IGF signal to the igniter/ecm, if IGF acts up then spark shuts doen but you should have a P1300 code stored. Heres the file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?tmnz13ymme3

I just had another thought here also.....this car has an immobilizer system, there is a red security light on the dash, be sure that the light goes out when you insert the key.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i thought of that too.. but i dont see any anti theft light come on or go off i will look again is it controlled by key? chip? or lazer cut?
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.
This is a multi part system, just a thought, your basic scan tool does not connect to this system to get codes, there is a red security light....off the top of my head if I remember correct it is somewhere around the radio area, the light should flash/blink, when you lock the car it goes solid for 30 seconds, when you insert the key in the ignition the light should go OUT. Check really quick, I'm about to go to bed.
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience: Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
lock-unlock internal portion gone i am going to pick up spare now. thanks so much
Expert:  lexpert replied 5 years ago.
Stop for a second, are you saying the internal key guts are missing? Do you have a spare key? You can't just pick up a new key gut for this car, it's more complicated then that. The immobilizer "chip" is in the key guts, if you loose all of them then you have to replace the Engine control module and the key, you are looking at a $1,000 repair here. The system now shows you offline, reply back if you need and I will reply tomorrow.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i had extra key (new key never used) locked doors then unlocked put key in ignition turned over no start forgot i had one wire to #6 plug off reconnected checked b+ to ignitor ok then hooked up battery charger for a little more cranking power tried again started up turned off tried several more times like this started every time looks like oil on pugs and wires though brittle time for replacements! thanks so much
by the way i was a ford teck for some years now own a demolition company you were very knowlegable if i have more problems with toyota or lexus i will be back!!!!!!