Boxer54
Boxer54, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years experience in automotive field - ASE master technician and L1 advanced certification
12613057

I turn the key and hear a rapid clicking sound and it wont

I turn the key and hear a rapid clicking sound and it won't start. I have a new battery. The dome light comes on. The car is a 2003 RX300.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. When was your battery replaced? Was it done to correct this concern, or was it done recently for another reason?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The battery was replaced about two weeks ago as part of 80,000 mile service. No symptoms other than a low charge.

I've never had this problem before. I drove the car this morning and had no sign of trouble. it's now in my garage and I was headed to the airport to pick up family. When I turn the key - it's just this really fast clicking noise.

Just had the timing belt replaced, too, and the water pump. Also part of the overall service.

thanks for the help with this question
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 7 years ago.
Almost 100% of the time, when you hear a rapid clicking noise from your starter, it is caused by a low state of charge in the battery or a weak battery. I have seen batteries before that have come back next day because they were just defective, or had sat too long and had a low state of charge to begin with. From what your telling me, I believe that you have a defective battery. The other possibility is that you alternator output is not enough to keep the battery fully charged. Toyota/Lexus alternators have a very low failure rate, so, I would look at the battery. If you haven't tried to jump start the vehicle, I would recommend that. Then I would take it to your local parts store (Autozone, Checker, Kragen, etc...) as most will do an electrical system test on your vehicle for free and you will know exactly what the problem is.