lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus

My car shakes when at a stop in Drive, when in Neutral it doesnt.

Customer Question

My car shakes when at a stop in Drive, when in Neutral it doesn't. It revs to 4000 (doesn't seem to hit high gear) and then hesitates at irregular intervals when driving (no matter the speed) kind of like a braking hesitation.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  lexpert replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

-What year and model Lexus is this?

-Is the check engine light on?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have a 2000 ES 300. the check engine light is always on--I was told it was not vital--but when I stop and leave the car in drive right now, it starts to flash--stops as soon as I accelerate.

I drive 50 miles a day one way--car just had major work done (timing belt, knocksensors, fuel and water pump, sending unit, throttle position sensor and gasket, mass air flow sensor, uppper and lower intake gasket, inside and outside accessory belts.

It was running fine until yesterday--started the rough idle when stopped in gear. Last night and today the "stutter" started--when maintaining speed, RPMs went up to 4000 when driving at about 68 mph.

Not regular stutters, kind of like a sudden deceleration but speed doesn't change.

Expert:  lexpert replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the reply. A few things here. First- if the check engine light is FLASHING then you CANNOT drive this car, this means that you have a severe misfire and are dumping raw fuel into the exhaust, this causes catalytic converter damage and leads to a VERY expensive repair. It sounds like your car most likely has a failed ignition coil, this causes a cylinder to misfire. You need to have this towed to a toyota or lexus repair facility and have it properly diagnosed and repaired. A coil costs about $100 for the part.