Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I allowed my son to store his belongings in my garage while

Customer Question

I allowed my son to store his belongings in my garage while he was in rehab and trying to get his life together, he is back to drinking and I want him to remove his things from the garage but is refusing to do so. What are the proper steps to get it out?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He is harrassing me and my sister who also resides in my home. He lived here temporarily back in October and I finally was able to convince him to get help and he left back in January. Has not resided here since and I will not allow him to reside here, while he was here, I had the sheriff's dept. out three times only to be told he has tenants right. So the issue of getting him to move out is over but his things remain in my garage and I want them out so he has no reason to ever come over
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to give him written notice to remove the property within 14 business days of your demand or you will put it out to the curb for the trash. If he fails to pick up his property, then you can put the property out to the curb and not be liable.
So, get him a letter telling him to remove the property and if he does not do so, put it out to the curb.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
How do I prove I have written and given him the letter?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I thought this service was $5.00, I did not choose a free trial, yet my card was charged $31.00, do I now have to cancel the trial?

Sorry, I will report this to customer service, we are finished.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
you did not answer my question regarding proof of the letter written and given..........please advise