Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a licensed attorney ready to answer your questions in a variety of areas.
97407003

I have a question regarding HIPPA. Is it a violation of

Hello, I have a question regarding HIPPA. Is it a violation of HIPPA for your co-worker or supervisor to fax your medical history paperwork, and therefore possibly read it, to someone at a medical clinic, I don't know who received it.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Not traffic, HIPPA, and in Virginia.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, it just happened today.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you. Just checking.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.

The answer to your question is that HIPPA does not apply to private individuals. It only applies to "covered entities." Covered entities are defined in the HIPAA rules as (1) health plans, (2) health care clearinghouses, and (3) health care providers who electronically transmit any health information in connection with transactions for which HHS has adopted standards.

In this case, your bosses aren't covered entities at all.

Follow up questions are free, so did you have any additional questions? If not, were you satisfied with my service today?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Great response and advice.

The pleasure is all mine! Further up on the you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required!

You are too kind thank you!