Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My daughter was in a wreck and was placed in the same

Customer Question

My daughter was in a wreck and was placed in the same ambulance as the other party. She was not put on a backboard either. The other party harassed her while in the ambulance. My daughter is still upset about this. Isn't this a HIPPA violation?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not with this, no.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No maam/
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. HIPPA protects private medical information. Her being placed in the same ambulance as the other person and/or not being placed on a backboard, would not likely amount to any type of violation. The information of her which is protected and should not be shared is the following:

• Information your doctors, nurses, and other health care providers put in your medical record
  • Conversations your doctor has about your care or treatment with nurses and others
  • Information about you in your health insurer’s computer system
  • Billing information about you at your clinic
  • Most other health information about you held by those who must follow these laws

She can certainly speak with an attorney about this but it would not appear their actions amount to a HIPPA violation, to where a complaint could be filed and this would be investigated.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!