Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I forged a doctor's note for my son>, Ohio, I don't know and

Customer Question

I forged a doctor's note for my son>
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't know and don't know how to find out.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No prior offenses.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 10 days ago.

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and I may also have to respond to other customers.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 10 days ago.

What sort of a note did you forge? For what purpose? Was it a prescription? Have you been contacted by anyone? Do you know whether the note was discovered?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Just a doctor's excuse for an absence from school.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 10 days ago.

Do you know whether the school picked up the forgery or not?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
the school is aware of the forgeries. A Doctor has already dismissed me . We are opened enrolled at that school and we are not invited back
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 10 days ago.

Thank you. They can turn the matter over to a prosecutor. Whether they will or not for this particular type of forgery is something that can go either way. It is a forgery, so doing what you did was against the law. On the other hand, it was an absence note as opposed to something more egregious such as a prescription.

The school and doctor have both exacted civil penalties for what you've done. They may believe they've made their point without prosecuting you as well. You will be the first to know if they have reported it because you would then be contacted. If/when that happens and, for that matter, because that may happen, it would be a good idea not to discuss what you did with anyone other than the lawyer who you may want to consult with just in case you are charged. Anything you say to anyone else can be used against you if this goes to court.

You never actually asked a question, so if this doesn't touch upon what you wanted to know, reply here with a follow up and I'll be happy to expand my answer.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 10 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I was contacted by a truancy officer to let me know they are aware of the forged excuses and that they were calling all of the doctors involved. Two of the doctors have already dismissed us as patients but the other two have not yet responded. I have not heard anything from the school and my question is should I just turn myself in to the sheriff or wait till they come for me? I've never done anything wrong before, that is breaking the law. It's been over a week now and I haven't heard from the school or the sheriff. What would you advise?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 10 days ago.

I would advise waiting at this point. There's no clear evidence that you are going to be charged with a crime. If it's being addressed civilly rather than criminally, the doctors and the school may feel that the termination is sufficient and they may not wish to proceed further, which is their choice.

If you're going to be charged you will be the first to know. You could be contacted by the sheriff or receive a letter. The longer the time that nothing happens, the better the chances that nothing more will.

If you feel compelled to do anything in the meantime, while you're not directly under the gun, it's a good time to have a consultation or two with a local criminal lawyer. You don't have to retain him or her, since there's nothing for the lawyer to do yet. But by looking now when you have the time, if the state does get involved, you'll have the name of someone already up to date with your case waiting in the wings to step in quickly and protect your rights.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have another question. I received a letter that an Attendance Officer along with the school principal have submitted a request for prosecution to the prosecutor. My question is, how long till I'm arrested and what happens next. I'm making the assumption that I need a criminal attorney, is that right?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 days ago.

Yes. If you're charged with a crime, you would need to get a criminal attorney. It would be a good idea to start looking for one now when you have the time. YOu wouldn't need to actually retain him yet, but you'd at least have a name and phone number of someone you familiarized with your situation if/when the shoe drops.

I cannot know how long it will take you to arrest you. The prosecutor will look at the reports, evaluate the matter and decide for himself if and when he wants to go forward. But your whereabouts are known and this is a nonviolent crime. The likelihood is that nobody's going to come to your home or workplace and take you into custody. You'd be more likely given an opportunity -- a summomns, citation, phone call from the police or letter -- to arrange to come in voluntarily for booking and would be released.