Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My cousin appointed me as the Executrix of my cousin's will

My cousin appointed me as the Executrix of my cousin's will in 2010. He died Saturday. He has never been married and had no children. He also has a Guardian of his estate. Does this position super cede my position as The Executrix of his will, in the state of NC, or how does this work. There have been some problems in the family about this matter.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NC
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The will is filed in the Clerk of Court's office in NC. I don't have a copy of the death certificate as of yet Is that what you mean.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Does this position super cede my position as The Executrix of his will, in the state of NC, or how does this work.

.

A guardian of the estate is in charge while a ward is living. But their authority ends upon the death of the ward. So if you are executrix, once you file a probate case and are appointed by a judge formally to that position, then you have the legal authority to take possession of all the assets of the estate, including anything the guardian is holding, and then proceed to pay debts and bills, file taxes, and settle the estate.

.

.

thanks