How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1894
Experience:  I am a licensed attorney ready to answer your questions in a variety of areas.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Divorce in MA. Plaintiff files for divorce and in the middle

This answer was rated:

Divorce in MA.
Plaintiff files for divorce and in the middle of the divorce liquidates pension and hides it. What kind of motion or thing should the Defendant do? sanctions?

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.

You will want to consider filing a contempt of court action. In divorce proceedings, Rule 411 in Massachusetts puts an automatic restraining order on actions just like these. Accordingly, you could file a motion for contempt of court against the other party for their actions and request that the party provide the funds into a trust or some other way make them available for distribution pending the end of the case.

Follow up questions are free, so did you have any additional questions? If not, were you satisfied with my service today?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
hi. Into a trust? would it be possible to ask for like court receivership?

Goodness, I'm sorry for the delay. I was unexpectedly pulled away from my computer. One moment:-)

Yes, a trust would be like a receivership where a neutral third party manages the funds. However, your specific court may or may not allow for that. I would recommend that you ask the court whether this is possible or what measures your jurisdiction/county decides is appropriate when the risk is high that your funds will disappear.

Did you have any follow up questions?

Legal Eagle and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you