Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Colorado Apartment Tenant Law. I have been residing for the

Customer Question

Hello there,
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: Colorado Apartment Tenant Law. I have been residing for the last 4 years in Englewood CO 80112 at Windsor/Browning apartments located at 3030 S Bannock St, Apt 111. I've always paid my rent on time, I get along very well with my neighbors ( fellow tenants) and the only disruption that has occured when a former finance co-signed a rental lease last June. My former fiance later struck me in the face (in October 2016) at which time he was no longer able to be on the apartment property and as well I obtained a no contact order, which if you check my 56 year old history you will find that this is certainly not a pattern of my past relationships. In my current situation, my lease will expire on June 1st 2017. I obtained this information when I approached my residential Manager, Bryon Leflour on May 1st 2017 and was told by Bryan that I should have received a letter from the parent company Rozeboom CO that I was to be informed by letter that I was no longer welcome to live at Winchester/Browning Apartments and would not receive a renewal 1 year lease before June 1st. I have never received any such letter since on or before May 1st. This was a ENTIRE shock to me, especially as I had receive no notice whatsoever before 5/1/17. I left a message to this effect on the managerial phone line, (with no return phone call) and have also informed the residential manager on the property which I live not only initially on 5/01/17 but as well on 5/04/17, and then again on 5/11/17 to which his reply was to me, ( Well you should be getting one!) Today is 5/15/17 and I've not received any answers/information/froms/ from either the parent company Rozeboom, or from the residential manager at the Windchester/Browning. I AM ON SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY FOR MENTAL HEALTH disorders, and this current living situation THREAT is destroying my life as the way I know it. Even though I am 56 years old and not diagnosed until 8 years ago, I volunteer on a regular basis at the Denver Botantic Gardens, and am enrolled to start college through Arapahoe CCS beginning in August 2017. As I am fortunate to receive financial assistance from Federal Disability, I do receive benefits, but not nearly enough to afford transportation other than RTD (which I am extremely grateful for) and this location is very close to not only transportation but grocery shopping and other advantages that would only happen where I currently reside. I am requesting that you will review my situation and assist me with legal recommendations, Please! Thank you for your consideration.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. I have never received the "letter" from the parent company Rozeboom. and now as of 5/15/17, I have only received negative feedback from the residential manager which only oversees my specific property, (1 out of 13) with no actual legal or written action
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes Not only have I observed his unfavorable disposition to the female population of this particular property ( which can be confirmed by several of my female neighbors who are afraid to speak out, as the affordable low income housing situation in and around the Denver CO metro area is a very difficult market to find this type of housing available.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
They cannot discriminate against you for being a victim of domestic violence and if they are denying to rent to you any longer based on the domestic violence incident with the fiance, then you need to contact the local housing office for violation of the Fair Housing Act and also you need to consider going to a local housing/landlord tenant attorney there in Denver, since this is a violation of your rights and you can sue for damages for them discriminating against you in refusing to renew your lease.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.