How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29557
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The apartment complex where I live hired a com to take care

Customer Question

The apartment complex where I live hired a com to take care of the parking lot last winter and the salt truck did $5,000 damage to my car.They have put me off for months and now say they won't pay
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?
Customer: Mo
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I called the magmt of the complex 5 min after it happened to report. They seen it and made report to Home office
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a letter from the company as to why they refuse to pay for damage and it states that because it's never had a claim in 50 years and their body man said that 3/8 in salt won't damage paint at 3 ft.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

You can take the salt truck company to Small Claims Court for damaging your vehicle. You'll need pictures of the damage. If you could get someone else who works in the business to testify as to how salt damages cars, or get a mechanic to do it, that would help your case. The fact that no one has complained before doesn't mean they didn't damage your car, and you have a right to prove it to a judge.

Small Claims Court is designed to be user-friendly and does not require a lawyer. The state has forms online you can use to open a case.

The statute of limitations for property damage is 5 years, so you have plenty of time to bring the claim.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any questions about this?