Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Has to do with online banking, Texas, A friend has asked

Customer Question

has to do with online banking
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: A friend has asked give me his pass codes to get into his on line banking and I am wondering if I can do this. He states that the bank has blocked his access because he was over seas and they did not recognize him until he returns to where he was registered. And wants me transfer some money into another bank account.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No he is in Turkey now and was in Dallas, Texas. I am wondering why he can not access his account since Citi Bank is international
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 days ago.

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and I may also have to respond to other customers.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 days ago.

People who ask a question like this are generally the target of an internet romance scam. Have you met your so-called friend in person?

You're right. Citi is international, and if you can access his money so can he. So why does he need you? Because it's not his account but someone else's and he doesn't want the money trail to trace to him. There just isn't any legitimate reason he can't do this for himself. It smacks of money laundering.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Well he seemed decent and so forth. What bothers me is some lawyer friend of his is pushing this. And the man is listed as a lawyer. But, I think works off the clock. I feel like such a fool and I thought I was smarter than most.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 days ago.

The fact that a person is listed as a lawyer doesn't mean the man who you are dealing with is that lawyer. I'm willing to check names and documents you've got if you want me to look that over. But I'm going to stand by my answer.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I did see this man Hussan Ozgur picture on his web site. Maybe I was talking to someone other than the lawyer listed. There are a lot of strange things that happens involving this so called friend of mine. This is a friend who I talked to on the phone almost everyday except when he got in trouble with the authorities in Turkey. He was on a restoration project and was blame for scaffolding from his construction site falling on cars and a grocery stores. And during that time I didn't hear from him because he was supposedly in jail. I don't I guess he really fool me. However, I always blame him for not meeting me. The story is too bizarre for words.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 days ago.

No it's not bizarre. Or it's bizarre only because it is the Stranded Traveler romance fraud.

Here's how it works:

You meet a guy on a social networking or dating site and he falls in love with you at first sight. He talks love, marriage, future and forever, before you can even meet in person.

He seems to be everything you always wanted in a man, and you can't believe your luck.

Typically, but not always, he claims to be a widower with a son or a daughter. Usually, he claims to have his own business, most frequently as an engineer, a contractor or an architect. He tells you his job involves international traveling.

And lo and behold, before he can finally meet you, he tells you he must go abroad for work purposes, and he ends up typically in some country that's neither his nor yours.

Once there, Mr Perfect suddenly will turn into Mr. Needy, the world's unluckiest guy. He has the first of a series of emergencies for which only your money will do. The excuses are all lies, designed only to part you with your money. The first request is usually a reasonably small amount, but if you wire that to him, there will be more emergencies delaying his retursn. There's equipment failure, for example, and he can't afford the repair. Or Customs is holding the products he ordered and he needs money to get them released. Or he has cash flow problems and he can't afford to pay his workers. Or he owes taxes. Or he gets robbed of all of his possessions and he can't leave until he pays his hotel bill. Or he or one of his family members gets ill and cannot get treatment or leave the hospital until you pay his bill.

There are bunches of excuses like this. They are all lies and they are designed only to part you with your money. You can see a good list of many of these excuses here.

http://romancescams.org/TypesOfScams.html

Of course, each time he gets money, he assures you that he will pay you back when he returns home. He may even send you a copy of his so-called multi-million dollar foreign contract to convince you he'll be able to pay the large loans you'll be giving him. But the emergencies keep on coming and he never gets an inch closer to seeing you, and he never will.

I'll be happy to look over any photographs and documents he has sent you that you can upload with your reply to this thread to give her more concrete information. But I'm betting the above sounds pretty much like what has happened to you. One emergency disaster after another. If so, you need to cease all contact with him, report him to her police and to the FBI at www.IC3.gov.