INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

I have a question. explanation kind of. My son's girlfriend

Customer Question

I have a question. Long explanation kind of.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: My son's girlfriend has moved out of here parents house about 2 months ago. she was having issues with the parents that were pretty serious at times. She went to the house today and no one was home. She had a key for the front door but it didn't work. It seemed as if they may have changed the locks. She went to the back door and used a credit card to open the door and she retrieved her belongings. Personal items, clothing, toiletries, etc. Nothing else.Sorry long story.Her parents are very controlling and have been trolling her on social media, closing her out of their life etc. Really degrading.My son, her boyfriend was with her, didn't go in the house or do anything but just drove her over to make sure she would be secure.Concerned that her parents may call the police, etc. to try to cause issues.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Missouri
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, no charges, nothing has been done. Just a little nervous for my son's girlfriend.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 13 days ago.
How old is she? Are you asking if she had a right to remove her personal property?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
asking if she has the right to remove her property. Missouri is the state and she is 20 years old.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I would prefer you just email me, I would rather not spend more $$ for the answer.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 11 days ago.

No need for a call. She has a right to remove her property and leave. She is above the age of majority and can do so.