Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was scheduled to fly Lufthansa yesterday. No where in teh

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: I was scheduled to fly Lufthansa yesterday. No where in teh booking process was I informed in any way that I needed a passport to be valid for 6 months after return
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: FL
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I needed some compensationg or booking or rebooking but they wouldn't let me.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Actually, each airline has their own rules and when you booked the flight they had to inform you of the 6 month passport validity requirement. Only certain countries have a 6 month valid passport requirement:
Albania
Angola
Bahamas
Bahrain
Belize
Bolivia
Botswana
Brazil
Brunei
Burma (Myanmar)
Burundi
China
Cote d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
Ecuador (including Galápagos Islands)
French Polynesia
Guyana
Honduras
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Jamaica
Kenya
Kiribati
Mexico
Madagascar
Malaysia
Mauritius
Mozambique
Namibia
New Caledonia
Nicaragua
Oman
Palau
Papua New Guinea
Philippines
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Singapore
St. Lucia
Taiwan
Tajikistan
Tanzania
Thailand
Timor-Leste (East Timor)
Trinidad & Tobago
Turkmenistan
Uganda
Ukraine
Venezuela
Vietnam
If the country you were traveling to is not on the list and Lufthansa did not inform you in advance it was their airline policy, then you could sue them for breach of contract for refusing to allow you to travel or book you on another flight.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Here is my question I didn't get a chance to ask. I was charged 2x accidentally on justanswer.com.
Anyways Here is my initial question.
I had booked a flight for myself and 2 children back in January on Lufthansa to From FL, USA to Cairo, Egypt. My husband had left earlier and was waiting for us. No where in the booking process was I informed that a passport had to be more than 6 months valid after return. (Considering I had flown multiple times myself with a passport expiring in a months time.) I only found out about this new policy at the ticket counter while checking in that my son's passport expires in October 2017. We were scheduled to return from our travels July 8th 2017. Not only Did only did the 3 of us had to miss that flight, I was unable to rebook for a later date on the spot. The counter could not rebook so they gave me the number to call. I called while standing at the counter and was put on hold for such a long time that when I finally talked to an agent, it was too late to rebook. They considered me a "no show" because they had already started boarding. So the ticket was cancelled. My husband was waiting for us, the children are devastated. I pulled them out of school early to leave and made them miss their graduation. We also had reservations in Cairo when we arrived. is there any way to file a suit against Lufthansa to get any type of compensation? The expenses that is whole ordeal has costs us is a large amount and the emotional and psychological devastation is unimaginable.Also My final destination is Egypt and that is not in the list that you sent.
Thank you for your reply.
You were charged twice because you opened a second question, which has now been closed and you can ask for a refund of that deposit on that question.
I was aware Egypt was not on the list, but I wanted you to have the list to show you it was not a country requirement for the country you were flying to and as I said above if you show they did not inform you of their policy of having a 6 month valid passport when you bought the tickets, you can sue them over this for the losses you incurred (not the alleged emotional distress, but the actual losses, as this is considered a breach of contract claim and under law for breach of contract you can only seek actual losses).
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
How do I go about doing this? I don't know where to start or who to contact. I was unable to talk to any type of supervisor from Lufthansa

Thank you for your reply.

You would start by contacting Lufthansa's corporate office, https://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/service/contact.html and submit your written complaint. If they fail to respond to your written complaint, you would be able to get a local consumer protection attorney to file suit against them for their breach of contract.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
That link gives me an error page. I have been unsuccessful in finding any way to contact an relevant person on Lufthansa.

Thank you for your reply.

Copy it and paste it to your browser, somehow there is a site issue on this site that does not allow you to just click on the link. I just copied and pasted it again and it does work. That is their link to the customer relations office to send your complaint letter.

If you choose not to send the complaint, you can go right to sue them in court for the damages.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I had to double check this because they specifically said at the counter last night that the reason for refusing his flight was because of Egypt. I found this link right now. https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/egypt.html
Also I tried copy pasting the lufthansa link you sent and I still get an error and I can't find a complaint section.

Thank you for your reply.

Egypt must be a new addition this month for the 6 month passport validity, because it was not on the list available from January 2017.

It is not a "complaint section" on the lufthansa site it is "customer relations" that is who you need to contact. However, since you cannot seem to find it here is the information from that site:

North America
Lufthansa German Airlines
Customer Feedback
P.O. Box 425/East Meadow,
N.Y. 12554, USA

The airline should have notified you still about the change in requirement, since Egypt was not previously on the list and had been added for whatever reason.