INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

Last summer i was essentially forced into signing a

Customer Question

Last summer i was essentially forced into signing a mediation agreement with a debt collector over a very questionable dental bill. At that time, i was told that if i needed to change the payment terms i could call them and work something out. So, i made about seven on-time payments out of the 24 month agreement, but due to health issues (Parkinson's), i wasn't able to work much for a few months and subsequently my income was hampered. Before my next payment was due, in March, I called the debt collector, and asked if it was possible to suspend payments for three months and resume after that time at a lower rate. I was told that was completely fine. The agent did not say anything about additional fees or legal action, but last week i received a copy of "Request for Judgement Non-Compliance Affidavit" along with $250 of additional fees. When i called them to ask why they did that, they suggested that the only thing that mattered is what's written in our mediation agreement. Is this legal?! Help! ...i'm a single parent struggling to stay healthy, work and provide for my children.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 days ago.
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 days ago.
The general rule is the agreement controls. That said you fall into an exception as the collector fraudulently induced you into signing by misleading you.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 days ago.
You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.If I can clarify or explain anything further, just ask me. kindly rate me 5 stars.