LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

Can two elderly people share an apartment without being

Customer Question

Can two elderly people share an apartment without being considered a "household" and affecting Medicaid eligibility in NV
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We are bringing my elderly Mother-in-law from MO to Las Vegas and her neighbor and long-time friend (once a boy friend) is in a rehab center with no one to visit him. Mom wants to bring him out here and the two of them plan on sharing a small apt. until he has to go back in care (he has liver cancer). He was on Medicaid in MO but had problems and is now on Medicare Mom makes too much $$ for Medicaid in MO but may qualify here if considered as an individual
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We plan on bringing them out this weekend (driving) and have them visit in our house until we can find an appt.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nevada
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 12 days ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

For purposes of determining what a household is under Medicaid, if one senior can claim the other as a dependent, then the two will be a household. But if each person pays their own expenses and share of the rent and utilities then they will not be determined to be a household of two---but 2 households of one person each for Medicaid purposes.

So, yes, 2 elderly people may share a residence and still qualify for Medicaid based solely on their own income.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 12 days ago.

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug