KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

With a patent pending on a product, do I have any legal

Customer Question

With a patent pending on a product, do I have any legal "room" to make a similar products with the functions/capabilities?
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
With a patent pending on a product, do I have any legal "room" to make a similar product with same functions/capabilities?
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 days ago.
Good morning
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 days ago.
No the applicant on a patent pending cannot sue you if you make a product while it is in patent pending status.
Patent pending means that they have filed a patent application with the USPTO. In turn the patent pending serial number alerts the public to the fact that someone is seeking a patent on a product. Legally, If you copy the product/invention during the time that the patent application is still pending, they cannot sue you for infringement.However, if the USPTO grants the actual patent on the patent application, then the owner can sue you if you continue to make the product after the date of grant.Remember, in the U.S., an inventor does not automatically get a patent when the inventor files a patent application. I hope this helps.Please don't forget to rate the question for credit and tracking so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 3 days ago.
If you have any other questions just ask
Customer: replied 10 hours ago.
I'm a contractor and I've done residential roofing for 10+ yrs. I believe I've devolved a new, faster, more efficient, and better looking way to lay metal roofs. I need a patent. What steps do i take?
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 hour ago.
A method for installing metal roofs is only patentable if, and only if, (1) it is tied to a particular machine or apparatus or (2) it transforms a particular article into a different state or thing (“the machine or transformation test”). A particular method or style for installing metal roofing is not patentable by itself. Please don't forget to rate the question for credit and tracking so that I will receive payment for assisting you with your question.