INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

Have an issue with two roommates that are threatening to

Hi. Have an issue with two roommates that are threatening to move out and stop paying on our long-term lease that ends in November. They are both on the lease and have signed a roommate agreement that specifies the payment. How can we (two remaining roommates) protect ourselves?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, don't think so
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Specifically, is there anything we can do now before the next payment is due and before they make us default on the lease? What legal action can we take at this point based on their text messages saying "I don't care if the lease defaults". It should be added that one of the two tenants on the lease already have left the US and is in Switzerland, while the other might be headed for Russia in less than a month.
You can threaten to sue them for the balance of the rent. That risk should get them to reconsider. A lawyer letter can also be sent for added impact.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. That will be useful for the letter and if needed court.If I can clarify or explain anything further, just ask me. kindly rate me 5 stars.
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Considering the fact that one of them have left the country, and that the other most likely will within a short period of time, do you know what we're looking at in terms of enforcement of any court decision?
A lawyer could pursue them on contingency fee seeking the lock up domestic accounts.
Any deposit would forfeit.
Practically you should obviously also look to find new co tenants.