Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a licensed attorney ready to answer your questions in a variety of areas.
97407003

Do I have to go to court if custodial parent wants to cancel

Do I have to go to court if custodial parent wants to cancel the back support?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: New York
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No,my children are 26 years old and their mom wants to cancel back support that is solely owed to her
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Ok, the answer to your question is probably not, but it is up to the court whether a hearing should be scheduled. Generally, a hearing is not required. A parent who is entitled to receive child support can agree that money owed to them has been satisfied. Thus, unless the court determines in the interests of justice that there must be a reason for a court hearing, then the judge will enter the order based on mom's wishes.

Let me know if you have any additional questions, thanks for using Just Answer!

Also, it’s the worst part of my job to ask, but would you be able to provide me with your opinion of my service? It helps both me and Just Answer get better on figuring out how to serve you. Remember, follow up questions in this thread are free!

Thanks again!